Why become a member? ×

Shure SE215 IEM headphone drivers both blew today - Slight upgrade suggestions?

coffee_king

Hey All
Seriosuly p*ssed off at my Shure SE215 drivers blowing today when using them at my gym on the gyms TV equipment.
Looks like I'll be shelling out for some replacements now.
Any suggestions on a slight upgrade (Possibly upto £150)?

Need to be as natural sounding as possible but something that can handle some decent bass and vocals too.

Thanks

Had the SE315 headphones through today.
Meh, theyre alright. They sound a lot like the SE215 headphones, but they'll do.
As with the SE215 the cable is VERY microphonic (Anyone know a fix for this?)

They defintely dont sound as good as my Audio Technia ATH-M40fs headphones, but then again they have a Frequency Response of 5 - 28,000 Hz, as opposed to the SE315 22hz-18.5kHz. But I didnt expect them to.

When these go I guess I'd better start looking at some "Decent" headphones for use with my IEM about triple the price I paid for the SE315 (£119 from DV247)

Anways, thanks for your help.

You aren't comparing apples with apples - the tiny drivers of the shure vs the beefier dynamic drivers in your audio technicas? Thats like saying a Focus is crap at offroading compared to a Land Rover. The frequency responses are ludicrous also - if the AT goes down to 5 hz, you won't hear it anyway and the frequency curve drop off will be so steep I reckon it will be around 40hz or higher where the ATs really respond in a useful manner. This will be similar with the Shures also. And as far as top end frequency response, 28khz? Good luck hearing up there. Again, they'll be subject to the same frequency drop off.

There are plenty of after market cables for the Shures but I would wager they won't give you the results you are looking for out of a low price IEM.

A 315 is a slight upgrade over a 215, like you requested and they do have a slightly different sound signature.

If you are looking at balanced armature technology that competes with the very best of over ear technology you are looking at 800 quid plus...

Edited by EBS_freak

5hz-28khz? Do these people just make this stuff up? Or are they making these headphones for dogs now?

On a serious note of you want to notice a bigger difference you'll need to upgrade the number of drivers in your headphones

Ebs_freak is far more knowledgeable about this than me but I'm onto westone 4R's which are quad driver and are leaps and bounds better than my old 215's however they are a bit pricey so maybe upgrading to some shure 425's or westone um 2's might be worth it if they're just for listening to music at the gym?

[quote name='coffee_king' timestamp='1424680944' post='2698978']
Hi
Sorry but I probably didnt make myself clear enough in my original post.

I just happened to use and break them at the gym.

They are usually used for my IEM onstage system.
[/quote]

i that case i would definitely recommend upgrading the number of drivers you're using will give a lot more depth to your in ears sound