Why become a member? ×

Nordstrand MM4.4 Pickup - Your thoughts

Osiris

In my ongoing quest to stop my single humbucker Sandberg Basic form sounding like a stingray, I came across the Nordstrand MM4.4 Pickup, which according to their website;

[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"the mm4.4 is the pickup to use if you want all the switching options. each row of magnets is actually 2 coils (2 magnets each), so the pickup can be split and remain hum cancelling in any configuration. front coil, rear coil, series, parallel… this pickup has all the basses covered"[/font][/color]

Has anyone got one, tried one, heard one etc?

Essentially I am looking to get away from the MM sound and want something that sounds more traditional. So the thought in my mind is how this would sound using only the neck coils?
Would this sound be much different to the modern MM style tone that the bass currently has? I appreciate it'll never sounds exactly like a traditional J or P pup but would the tone be closer to these or still retain [i]that [/i]inherent sound?

Your thoughts please, folks.