Why become a member? ×

IEM Preamp

NoirBass

I'm currently running a wired IEM system using a 3 Leaf Audio Enabler as a preamp. This all works fine and is nice and portable, however I would like a more high end rack setup.

What I'd like is to mix 2 signals (my bass and the aux send from our desk), have some form of EQ on board, nice high sound quality and all in a 1u rack. Does such a thing exist?

Most of the studio headphone amps I've looked at are for several pairs of headphones - I only need one. None seem to have any EQ.

Any assistance greatly received.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1423838748' post='2689584']
What desk are you using?
[/quote]

Well, it varies - At some venues they have a house desk; analogue or digital Mackies.

When we bring our own kit we use a Yamaha O1V.

Edited by NoirBass

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1423849525' post='2689746']
I'd be looking at a 1u rack mount mixer. Not sure that many have on-board limiters and headphone amps though so you might need a couple of additional boxes wired in (limiter pedal in an insert plus whatever headphone amp you currently use?)
[/quote]

Great so something like this:

[url="http://www.studiomaster.com/product-view/c3-c3x-compact-rack-mixers/43/"]http://www.studiomas...rack-mixers/43/[/url]

with something like this:

[url="http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/processors/c-class/cque8/"]http://www.samsontec.../c-class/cque8/[/url]

And add a compressor/limiter

Edited by NoirBass

I have used one of the Studiomaster C3X mixers for a couple of years in a similar way you're talking about - I mix my bass, vocals and a general band mix from the desk into my IEM Tx and it works very well. The IEM system has a limiter but the C3X doesn't. There is also no dedicated headphone out from the C3X so I use the headphone monitor out jack on the IEM Tx when running a wired setup or during rehearsal.

I looked around for a while for a 1U mixer that had some EQ on each channel and whilst the EQ points are not bass guitar specific it does the job very well. The ability to add a bit of reverb to my vocals and control the balance of the three inputs is very handy. We don't have a digital desk and we only have two aux outs so it was the best way I could think of to get around the limitations of the desk and still have control over my IEM mix

When we get around to buying a digital desk I will probably ditch the C3X but for now it works well

[quote name='intime-nick' timestamp='1423856076' post='2689849']
I have used one of the Studiomaster C3X mixers for a couple of years in a similar way you're talking about - I mix my bass, vocals and a general band mix from the desk into my IEM Tx and it works very well. The IEM system has a limiter but the C3X doesn't. There is also no dedicated headphone out from the C3X so I use the headphone monitor out jack on the IEM Tx when running a wired setup or during rehearsal.

I looked around for a while for a 1U mixer that had some EQ on each channel and whilst the EQ points are not bass guitar specific it does the job very well. The ability to add a bit of reverb to my vocals and control the balance of the three inputs is very handy. We don't have a digital desk and we only have two aux outs so it was the best way I could think of to get around the limitations of the desk and still have control over my IEM mix

When we get around to buying a digital desk I will probably ditch the C3X but for now it works well
[/quote]

Great, thanks for the info. The C3 or C3X is looking like a favourite at the moment.