Why become a member? ×

Cautionary tale

MoonBassAlpha

I fitted a new 4-way switch to my Korean Squier telecaster to give the extra both pickups in series option.
It's a bit more faff than a straight replacement as you need to earth the neck pickup independently from the grounded pickup wire.
Got it all together, and it turns out the switch is about 4mm deeper than the cavity. The body is deep enough to take the switch, just that routing it out would have been easier[i] before [/i]wiring it all up.
It never even occurred to me that there would be an issue with a proper Fender part.

Unlucky as this mod will work straight into USA telecaster - having done it. My gotcha was the need to run separate earth to pickup cover in addition to two signal wires. Would be very wary that 4mm route would emerge from back of guitar, a definite measure before attacking with power tool scenario.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1423850853' post='2689767']
Yes, definitely getting the vernier out for this. I've borrowed a brutal grinder from work, so I'll probably go through the guitar and my table!
[/quote]

The 'brutal grinder' makes for an eye watering vision - pics in action?

It's a Bosch GGS 27, like the Motorhead of Dremels, no speed control, on or off, and it really is quite scary. Pics will probably be on an x-rated You've Been Framed in a couple of years time under the section "what was he thinking?"

Edited by MoonBassAlpha

• 2 weeks later...