Why become a member? ×

Tunings help

Iheartreverb

Hi all,

So my band decided they want to start writing again in C# tuning. My issue is I don't like any drop tunings at all, nothing where the low string is dropped lower than the rest. We used to do everything I drop D, which is wasn't keen on.

Anyway, any advice on what I could play instead without it sounding terrible? I read that Kim Gordon is still playing in standard when the guitars are in C# on sonic youth albums. Failing that, will C#standard/ C Standard/ d standard work?
Open auto any/ all advice.
Cheers!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1423826463' post='2689404']
Sorry, I misunderstood.

Yeah, drop the whole guitar down one and a half tones. Will be fine. You'll need to make sure you've got higher gauge strings to improve the tension though, otherwise the strings might be a bit flappy and uncomfortable to play.
[/quote]

I'm sorry, this is pretty much unknown territory for me. Will it not sound odd if I'm playing in a different tuning to the guitars?

The notes on your bass are the same as what notes the guitars have, regardless of tuning, they'll simply appear at different locations if one is detuned and the other isn't.
It's quite possible for you to play in standard tuning instead of drop C# like the guitars, but when the guitars are playing a low C# on their open lowest string, instead of you mirroring that, you'd need to play the C# on the 4th fret of your A string (or whichever position of the neck you choose).
The reason why most bass players will mirror the tuning of the guitars in this instance (if not playing a 5 string) is so they can get the low note equivalent of what the guitars are playing, maintaing the octave spreads between the bass and guitars. As guitars become more and more detuned, they obviously approach the basses sonic territory, no-one ever got excited about a bass player who is always playing in the same register as the guitar player ;)

I spent years playing in C Standard (C, F, Bb, Eb) because both guitarists were tuned to that, not because I couldn't play the songs in standard tuning, but because I wanted the low C note on my 4 string, tuning the rest of the strings down simply meant I was still tuned in 4ths (intervals between strings).

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1423833688' post='2689500']
The notes on your bass are the same as what notes the guitars have, regardless of tuning, they'll simply appear at different locations if one is detuned and the other isn't.
It's quite possible for you to play in standard tuning instead of drop C# like the guitars, but when the guitars are playing a low C# on their open lowest string, instead of you mirroring that, you'd need to play the C# on the 4th fret of your A string (or whichever position of the neck you choose).
The reason why most bass players will mirror the tuning of the guitars in this instance (if not playing a 5 string) is so they can get the low note equivalent of what the guitars are playing, maintaing the octave spreads between the bass and guitars. As guitars become more and more detuned, they obviously approach the basses sonic territory, no-one ever got excited about a bass player who is always playing in the same register as the guitar player ;)

I spent years playing in C Standard (C, F, Bb, Eb) because both guitarists were tuned to that, not because I couldn't play the songs in standard tuning, but because I wanted the low C note on my 4 string, tuning the rest of the strings down simply meant I was still tuned in 4ths (intervals between strings).

Si
[/quote]

Loads of help as always Si. Thanks