Why become a member? ×

Key changes - explanation of a modulation

Sibob

I've been re-going through Son Of A Preacher and a question struck me.
When does the actual key change occur? I mean technically.....
When the middle section moves to the D, is this considered to be #6 chord in the key of E and the 'key change' is simply when the A is hit for the next verse? Or is the D considered the key change and the bridge simply starts on the 5th chord in the key of A?

Thanks
Si

On listening to it, my ears hear the key change at the first chord of the bridge.

You could, however, view the bridge section in terms of the key of E major - the D chord would be labelled 'b7 major' (rather than #6) which is a really common non-diatonic chord that crops up in a bunch of pop, rock and soul tunes.

All of the bridge chords can be analysed in terms of either E major or A major, so for me the debate as to exactly where the key change happens is an aural one.

[quote name='TKenrick' timestamp='1423844361' post='2689656']
On listening to it, my ears hear the key change at the first chord of the bridge.

You could, however, view the bridge section in terms of the key of E major - the D chord would be labelled 'b7 major' (rather than #6) which is a really common non-diatonic chord that crops up in a bunch of pop, rock and soul tunes.

All of the bridge chords can be analysed in terms of either E major or A major, so for me the debate as to exactly where the key change happens is an aural one.
[/quote]

Cheers bud,
I'd be inclined to agree with you, the aural change for me happens at the D, but I also noticed the compatibility between the chords used in the bridge between the two keys, hence wondering about if there was a definitive 'rule' on it :)

Thanks for the input, especially about the b7major
Si

• 2 months later...