Why become a member? ×

Mustang bass bridge

GregBass

Hi chaps
I have a 1973 Mustang bass that had been hacked around back in the days when vintage basses were just old basses, so I decided to get a local luthier to sort out the body and do a refin (as it had already been badly repainted before). It sounded like such a good idea, but .....

The guy had problems so stripped the bass down and sent the body away for a refin. This was done by Jack's Guitars, who did an excellent job and the body looks like new!! Unfortunately, while the body was away the first luthier managed to lose the bridge. As anyone with an old Mustang will know, finding an authentic 70s bridge is virtually impossible. Of course, there are now Pawnshop and Squier Mustangs around, and some places even carry the bridges - but Fender explicitly state that they will not fit vintage instruments without modification.

So, I asked Fender what the difference is and they actually don't seem to know. Does anyone have any idea what is different between the old 70s bridges and those on current models? They look similar and seem to have all the holes in the same places.

Thanks

Greg

Thanks Walbassist. I have been trying ebay, but hen's teeth seem to be common compared to spares for vintage Mustangs. I am seriously considering just paying out the cash for a modern Mustang bridge and hoping that the string holes line up with the holes in the body. Anything else I can work around.

The luthier is looking for a bridge too, and he will cover the cost of a replacement if we can find one. The whole experience has been a nightmare - it has now been two years since I first handed the bass over to him. It's a long story, but safe to say I won't be using him again!!

Just checked on mine ( I have an original 1970 Mustang and a Japan reissue ) The neck on the reissue is slightly wider and the string spacing slightly more than the original ( Only by about 1.2 mm over all 4 strings )

The bass plate appears to be identical size wise and screw hole wise, but the saddles are slightly chunkier on the reissue!

I think you would probably get away with the reissue bridge, but obviously the strings will be closer to the edge of the neck!

You are welcome to call in and check it out for yourself if you are around the Leeds area!

Will.