Why become a member? ×

NBD: 2015 Gibson SG Std.

gsgbass

I picked up this 2015 Gibson SG Std. the other day. It plays great. The Babicz bridge is good, and I like the Pearl inlays also. The new output jack on it, holds the cord's input jack very snug in place, a good positive connection. The control cover plate is stainless steel infused polycarbonate, for electrostatic discharge protection.

Edited by gsgbass

Hello gsgbass,

Thank you for posting such good pic's. This is the one bass that I would like to own. I'm thinking maybe I should sell my other 3 and just buy one of these.

As a firm flatwound convert I'm particularly interested in the choice of strings and should you care to give a detailed review I would be most grateful.

Enjoy. Regards, Chris

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1423897936' post='2690129']
Hello gsgbass,

Thank you for posting such good pic's. This is the one bass that I would like to own. I'm thinking maybe I should sell my other 3 and just buy one of these.

As a firm flatwound convert I'm particularly interested in the choice of strings and should you care to give a detailed review I would be most grateful.

Enjoy. Regards, Chris
[/quote]

Thanks Chris. I use the D'Addario ETB92M Nylon Tapewounds. D'Addario flats are also very good on the SG Std. I like the Gibson SG Std. feel for a short scale bass. The 12" radius fretboard is very comfortable to play on. The pups are great!

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1423998261' post='2691254']
The usual wide grippy strap sorts the neck dive on mine. My forearm also seems to locate the bass against my body which also minimises any neck dive. The lightness and short scale make them a great thing to play imo.
[/quote]

Same here on the strap. I play more to the side, somewhat off of the right hip. It does play great.

• 2 weeks later...

The pups are monsters on this SG Std. I used the same setting on the amp, that I use for the T-Bird, and Ray34CAFL. The volume was a lot louder on the SG Std. The basses volume was set on 2.5. I rest the SG Std.'s volume to 2, and that was more reasonable.

Edited by gsgbass

• 1 month later...