Why become a member? ×

Cheapest ever pedalboard from Ikea?

JapanAxe

There have been threads on various forums about an Ikea shelf unit that can be converted into a cheap and cheerful pedalboard. Whilst strolling cheerfully round Ikea in Bristol today, I came across the [url="http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60150176/"]Bräda laptop support[/url] at £2.90. It is a single piece of plastic measuring 42cm wide by about 30cm deep, with an inclined surface and a non-slip rubber strip underneath. You could fit at least 4 normal-size pedals on this, and there is room underneath to fix a power supply block. I expect it would be easy enough to drill if you needed.

I didn't buy one, as I have 2 guitar pedal boards already, and the last thing I need is an excuse to buy more pedals!

Anyone fancy having a go with one of these?

That looks brilliant.

I was scouring their website the other day, actually looking for a metal shelf or something to convert. That looks great though, it's designed for a laptop, so I imagine it'd be pretty durable.

You'd just need a back to carry it in.

I have one of these for my MacBook.
I just tried a foot on it in slippers. It flexes quite a bit and I'm not sure that it'll work with stomp boxes unless you have a pretty delicate stomp. Would the bending not cause problems with whatever you attach your pedals like Velcro? It's very good for laptops though.

Bonding several together there might be a problem as the bends wouldn't stack well as they would all have the same bend radius ?
But it might be an idea to bond a piece of something with more stiffness to the flat part.
Could try a piece of wood or MDF / OSB. Bond with contact adhesive then fix with nuts and bolts.
Bear in mind that the relationship between thickness and stiffness is approximately cubic so doubling a thickness gives roughly eight times the stiffness.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1424125376' post='2693043']
Perhaps just a wooden support underneath running side to side that is in contact with the floor and so prevents flexing?
[/quote]
I did think about something like that, but it would kind of spoil the elegant simplicity of the design.

• 4 weeks later...

Late to the party here. That is exactly what I use for my pedal board. I started using it late last year and it's working fine.

It has a Snark Pedal Tuner, Hartke Bass Attack and a Digitech Synth wah and a four way mains adaptor on top. I put some Velcro hook tap on the bottom and it never moves on stage. I'm sure it would crack if you took a jump on it but it's fine for general use.

I use a piece of kitchen cupboard - basically beech veneered chipboard with two rubber feet from B&Q under the top edge to give the angle and stop slip and cut it to fit in a Thomann flight box, valcro-ed the pedals in position - works for me.
But i'm sure you could brace up the IKEA rest to look more Rock'n'roll than my piece of beech effect pedal board :blush:

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1424807971' post='2700727']
Really nice idea, but a shame it's not metal. I built a board a couple of years ago from an Ikea shelf unit, and the darn thing turned out HUGE.
[/quote]

The gorm board? yeah I did the same, and had the same trouble with it, no bag big enough to take it anywhere!