Why become a member? ×

Netflix documentaries

The Admiral

A couple of good ones I've come across recently :

Muscle Shoals - which, as the title suggests, tells the story of the famous studios and the players/owners,

and The Story of the Eagles (I think that's the title). Blimey, what an eye opener, and there is clearly still a lot of bad feeling in the extended membership, but none of it helped by too much touring, and similar amounts of Booze and cocaine. Makes you realise what a remarkable back catalogue they have though, and Joe Walsh is worth watching alone - disjointed rambling anecdotes, but some razor sharp playing.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1423925456' post='2690432']
20 feet from stardom's on there, loved that. The muscle shoals doc left me with a lump in my throat on more than one occasion, great watch. Will watch the eagles one asap.
[/quote]

20 feet from stardom was fascinating and had some incredible examples of how life can take so many paths, not least the beautiful and talented woman who sang backing for the Rolling Stones, dated Jagger and appeared in Playboy, but knocked it on the head to become a high school English teacher.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1423912214' post='2690254']
A couple of good ones I've come across recently :

Muscle Shoals - which, as the title suggests, tells the story of the famous studios and the players/owners,

and The Story of the Eagles (I think that's the title). Blimey, what an eye opener, and there is clearly still a lot of bad feeling in the extended membership, but none of it helped by too much touring, and similar amounts of Booze and cocaine. Makes you realise what a remarkable back catalogue they have though, and Joe Walsh is worth watching alone - disjointed rambling anecdotes, but some razor sharp playing.
[/quote]
The Eagles documentary is class. Jo Walsh is a nutter. I find it all so cliche and boring now though. I remember wanting nothing more than to live that wild crazy lifestyle and raise as much hell as possible wherever I went..... Now I couldn't think of anything worse or more selfish. When I look back sometimes I'm utterly ashamed. That aside it was a great show and what a back catalogue. Glenn Frey came across quite bad I thought.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1423927802' post='2690466']

20 feet from stardom was fascinating and had some incredible examples of how life can take so many paths, not least the beautiful and talented woman who sang backing for the Rolling Stones, dated Jagger and appeared in Playboy, but knocked it on the head to become a high school English teacher.
[/quote]
That sounds great. I will check it out.

Watching 20 Feet From Stardom right now. I'd seen it in the list for Netflix, but this thread pushed me to actually watch it.

EDIT: Migosh! Lisa Fischer can sing!!!!

EDIT: Good O'l Freda is on Netflix. I'll watch that once 20 feet is finished.

EDIT: Not much action on this thread. But, I've watched the above two documentaries and have now moved onto Beware Mr Baker (about Ginger Baker). He definitely has a story. Quite a lot of it is sad, but quite a few of his problems seem self-inflicted. It was very sad to see how much his son enjoyed playing with him, only for GB to cruelly reject his son after that.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1423957925' post='2691006']
Supersize Me was scary and interesting.
[/quote]

I have a friend who features on the soundtrack and it's been a good friend to him, having been so popular. He won't be buying his own island anytime soon, but it just shows the value of royalties if a film goes viral.

'All this Mayhem'

Utterly gripping documentary from the team that made Senna. The 'sport' is skateboarding BUT don't let that put you off. It's the human tale around this that is being told and the sport is incidental.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2938416/

Along with One Day In September, one of the best documentaries made in recent years.

I'm a big documentary buff (I started working life as a Assistant Documentary Editor) and love any music documentaries. That Muscle Shoals one was fantastic and the Eagles one too. I'm not sure if these are on Netflix -I'm on Amazon which is now awful, awful, awful and charges for everything. I plan to try Netflix soon. Here's a list of good uns to search for on Netflix or Youtube.

If you can find Twenty Pearl Jam. One of the best band documentaries I've seen and still compelling if not a grunge fan.
Sound City- Dave Grohl narrating the story of the LA Studio.
Standing in the Shadow of Motown
Lemmy
Anvil
Classic Albums doc series
Rock Family Trees
Any of the BBC Britannia series E.G Heavy Metal Britannia
Steve Winwood- English Soul
Martin Scorsese - The Blues series (It's a bit worthy but some of the episodes are good).
Vox Pop: How Dartford Powered the British Beat
Play it Loud: The Story of the Marshall Amp
Hello Quo
Supergrass - A Home Movie
Metal - A Headbangers Journey
Metal Evolution
Iron Maiden: Flight 666

Ones to watch out for
James Jamerson & the Legend of the Funk Machine - Currently being made

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We watched the Eagles one and I was amazed at the hatred that was evident between certain members. It even showed a full blown argument on stage with death threats et al.
The Journey one about their search for anew singer is good too.
On a completely different tangent, Netflix documentaries, "The War" is awesome!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1449748426' post='2926429']
Saw The Wrecking Crew one last night. Well worth a look.
[/quote]

Yep, really good! I highly recommend it. Gives a good insight into the 60s/70s US music machine. Lots of input from Carol Kaye, as you’d expect ;)

Goes to show that a lot of rock’n’roll during that period was actually ‘manufactured’ to an even greater degree than modern music.

Link here for anyone interested:

http://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com