Why become a member? ×

New Amp Day - TC Electronic Blacksmith!

longtimefred

Hi guys, just wanted to share the good news and fun times spending a shed load of cash on a new head!

I recently burnt out a few tubes on my Trace Elliot V4 on tour mid set and decided enough was enough karting this old beast of a head around abusing it, its not what it is designed to do.

So i went hunting for a proper bombproof stinkingly loud amp that can withstand the brute of touring with a Heavy Metal band all the time. The TC just seemed to tick all the boxes for me so i went down to see Mark at Bass Direct today after putting one on hold and plugged in and nearly blew his windows out, holy crap this thing is loud :) and sounds awesome!! Just 10 mins giving it a bit of a pasting was enough to know its the right one. They really seem to have nailed the feel of a valve amp with this as it doesn't sound or react like a typical clean class D amp. The multi band compressor just seems to rock!

Got it home and got the pedal attached to my pedalboard along with the Darkglass B7K and Line 6 G30 and got the Blacksmith loaded into the rack case ready for the last 6 legs of the tour. Cant wait to get it in the studio next week to get some proper sounds up and see what it can do.

Fun times ahead i think.

Will

yeah ignore the 1600w thing, thats rubbish lol. It puts out 924w at 4 ohms. Still pretty beasty.

Im putting it through a Matamp 4x10 which has a 1200w handling and its running in 8 ohms at 500 odd watts so nah its cool. I will get a video or something done when i can pair it up with the full rig on wednesday. Its gonna be filthy!!!

Welcome to the Blacksmith club- we really should get jackets made! B) I got mine several months ago, and it's the best investment I've made in my live set-up. The compressor is brilliant, the tubetone is sweet, and the EQ is excellent.

It's driving a couple of Schroeder cabs, one 2x12 and one 1x15. With both cabs, I'm running it at 2 ohms but at smaller gigs with just one cab it goes to 4. I have to admit, it took a couple of hours playing with the compressor to find a reasonable output level that didn't threaten to cause structural damage. It's not an amp that does subtle very well, either in sound or spec, but I wasn't looking for that in my new rig so I'm happy with it!

The V4 has gone back to VtypeV4 as we are the only people that have owned it from new. Sorry dude, that amp is only ever going to belong to either one of us :)

First impression of the TC is - HOLY SH*T its loud!! and I'm running at 8ohms. (a mere 525w lol)

Its going to take some getting used to and adjusting i think. This thing plays and feels so so different to the V4 i have been using for around 7 years. I have a couple of dodgy frequencies i need to find and EQ out and get it sitting right in the mix, but yeah its awesome. The pedal board really helps and the tuner is dead good on it. It only takes one nudge of the EQ to make it sound totally different so there is a lot to play with.

Think i need another cab to sit the mix a little higher by my face! i have been touring with a Gallian Krueger rig with 15" and 4x10 and it just rocks!

Gigging it tonight and tomorrow, so will let you know how it goes :)

thought i'd put a cheeky update about the Blacksmith. God damn this thing just keeps getting better. So the next set of cabs i used on the tour was a Gallien Krueger RBH 4x10 and 15 stack, jesus at not even a quarter of the power available we were shaking buildings apart!! absolutely love this amp so far. The only time i have not been settled was using my own cab (Matamp 4x10) at rehearsals.

Now i have gotten a bit more used to how this thing responds to my playing, hopefully the next time i plug her in to the Matamp it should be ok. If not I'm searching for a new cab setup lol!

Simply if anyone is after a pro touring amp that weighs nothing. GET ONE!