Why become a member? ×

I've gone back to heavyweight

sk8

Having ditched my Purple Chili Class D head and neodymium speakered light weight cabs I find myself with this

[URL=http://s420.photobucket.com/user/spongebob_sqaurepants/media/F5EB6869-0312-400A-BD69-8272A168369C_zpstnsdn2mg.jpg.html][IMG]http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp287/spongebob_sqaurepants/F5EB6869-0312-400A-BD69-8272A168369C_zpstnsdn2mg.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s420.photobucket.com/user/spongebob_sqaurepants/media/3616F9B7-68E2-4349-B267-80088E1B4760_zps9wokw8yj.jpg.html][IMG]http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp287/spongebob_sqaurepants/3616F9B7-68E2-4349-B267-80088E1B4760_zps9wokw8yj.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='howdenspur' timestamp='1424031032' post='2691815']
Tho I can feel my discs twinging just thinking about it!
[/quote]

Ow. I can feel my scrotum bursting.
It's a sad day when you realise you'll never use an all-valve amp - if you want to keep your balls. Ironic really.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1424032624' post='2691849']
Apparently they weigh about 26kg...similar to a bag of cement, or 2 concrete blocks if my memory serves me right. :o
[/quote]

It's still 10kg lighter than my last valve head so it's a win. Ish

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1424032624' post='2691849']
Apparently they weigh about 26kg...similar to a bag of cement, or 2 concrete blocks if my memory serves me right. :o
[/quote]

It's still 10kg lighter than my last valve head so it's a win. Ish :lol:

I've had several lightweight heads, but have come to the conclusion that they are not for me. I think I'd only get one again if I had to carry my gear any distance, but from car to stage and back is easy enough with a heavy head (maybe not 200w+ valve heavy)

I am very appreciative of my lightweight cab, however. There are three flights of stairs to our practice room, and I'd hate to have to carry a heavy cab up and down there each week.

I'm with you on this one. Just picked up a scruffy but sound Ampeg 410HLF and it has so much more 'presence' and personality than my Barefaced S12T (yes, I know I will burn in the fiery flames of hell for saying that - and I love my BF)

The Ampeg V4-B is on the way as I write :D

The S12 and Markbass F1 will stay for any gigs with a flight of stairs involved

Edited by davehux

If I'm honest I've missed the Vlavle Power amp, having had a 3 tube pre with class D power amp. There is something about it that all my class D stuff can't touch and the OBC115 is a good compromise between weight and size. Do I wish I had kept by Berg NV412? Yes and no. I'm liking the visiual of the orange rig but the berg would have paid cities to wast :D

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1424084103' post='2692294']
...I've missed the Valve Power amp, having had a 3 tube pre with class D power amp. There is something about it that all my class D stuff can't touch...
[/quote]

It's true - nothing beats the heft and slam you get from huge iron transformers in a tube power section. The only two SS power-stage amps I would say have any kind of balls in that direction are the G-K MB500 Fusion and the GB Streamliner 900, one of which you may have used already if you've had a 3-tube pre. The best overall for me was the Burman SL100 PowerPak which was huge, full-range and had custom-wound transformers. Greg Burman found Partridge transformers were not up to his requirements... I've got seller's remorse now.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424085095' post='2692303']
It's true - nothing beats the heft and slam you get from huge iron transformers in a tube power section. The only two SS power-stage amps I would say have any kind of balls in that direction are the G-K MB500 Fusion and the GB Streamliner 900, one of which you may have used already if you've had a 3-tube pre. The best overall for me was the Burman SL100 PowerPak which was huge, full-range and had custom-wound transformers. Greg Burman found Partridge transformers were not up to his requirements... I've got seller's remorse now.
[/quote]

I had a Purple Chili Phat Bass head but the principle was the same. It was a great compromise against the hiwatt in weight as the tone was as close as made no difference BUT it still didn't have the heft, back aching, grin inducing effect that only vlaves and iron can give

I used to joke that they could put a computer in your pocket but couldn't make a decent bass amp you could lift easily, so when the class D stuff appeared I was quite excited. Having tried a couple, they sounded very clean but seemed to lack warmth. Sticking pedals in front didn't help either, so I'm glad it's not just me that prefers to put up with the weight of a full valve head in order to get the sound I like.

Modern class D stuff I've tried on the whole definitely seems to be lacking that all encompassing shove that my Trace has. I'm sure the manufacturers will get there though. Until then, its big blocks of iron for me! (That said even though my gp12 smx is heavy for a head, in the grand scheme of things it's not.. I can still lift it easily)

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1424120653' post='2692950']
The Lightweight Ashdown ABM stuff is very good , a hell of a lot more balls compared to my Mark Bass little Rocker & Mo Mark .
[/quote]

For me, the tone of the LM was as much about the A/B poweramp as it was the pre. They don't have that anymore. I remember we trying a LM800 and thinking it sounded nothing like my LM3

My main rig is a heavyweight amp (35kg) with lightweight cabs, but the cabs will likely change soon as I need something wider to have a safe stack with the valve amp on top!

I will keep class D and lightweight cabs for rehearsals and those gigs where I have to transport my gear by myself.

But yes I too have gone back to big lumps of iron and glowing glass tubes :D

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1424218139' post='2694108']
I've got an Ampeg 410...I don't worry about it blowing away in the wind :D

It's not the weight I find a problem, it's a deep cab so can be awkward to carry. Very rarely does any one help me with it
[/quote]

Well, if you weren't so bloomin' grumpy all the time... :rolleyes:

:lol: :P