Why become a member? ×

I've gone back to heavyweight

sk8

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1424209347' post='2693947']
I detest heaving my ampeg rig two n fro practice and sometimes consider a lightweight option......... All that goes when it's fired up :-)
[/quote]

same here, I just DI my DHA VT 2 into the desk at rehersals, keep the lifting for paid gigs!

Same here regarding heavy weight. I ditched my SVT and embarked on a mission to get that sound through lighter gear - Orange bass terror, TC RH450, Aguillar Tonehammer, Ashdown Spyder.....just didnt cut it. SVT is now back in full swing and im back happy again

• 4 weeks later...

used this at more volume at practice. Very pleased with te sound. There is a certian heft an dweight to the notes that I've not had with any of my class D stuff. Its very vintagey, or least how I've set it up it is :D
Sits in the mix well and just pumps out solid bass. OD and Fuzz work well but sound very different from my other set ups, in a good way. Liking leaving this with a bit of breakup and using the guitar rig to do the OD stuff.

While I don't doubt the experiences of the respondents so far, I do think that a lot of us hear with our eyes and muscles. If we heft in a heavy piece of gear, we expect it to sound "heavyweight" too...

Maybe another blind test is called for (like the one relating to cone diameters)? :P

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426686598' post='2720769']
While I don't doubt the experiences of the respondents so far, I do think that a lot of us hear with our eyes and muscles. If we heft in a heavy piece of gear, we expect it to sound "heavyweight" too...

Maybe another blind test is called for (like the one relating to cone diameters)? :P
[/quote]

Maybe the visual is a factor but I would say...as much as I can use my lightweight class D and NEO's, ..
there is just a 'factor' that transformer and ceramics add or just have.
I want to like the lightweight thing but I've never really 'loved' any NEO cab I've gone thru...
and it took me a while to come to that conclusion. I didn't set out to not like NEO, I just
realised all the ones that I was passing on, were actually NEO.
Once I'd formed this opinion, I did think Class D might follow the same pattern but all that
did was stop me buying one until relatively recently. I'd used Markbass and a few others
by this time and wasn't struck on them anyway.
Once I had my latest big block amp, i then KNEW... IMO

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1426691109' post='2720859']
Maybe the visual is a factor but I would say...as much as I can use my lightweight class D and NEO's, ..
there is just a 'factor' that transformer and ceramics add or just have.
I want to like the lightweight thing but I've never really 'loved' any NEO cab I've gone thru...
and it took me a while to come to that conclusion. I didn't set out to not like NEO, I just
realised all the ones that I was passing on, were actually NEO.
Once I'd formed this opinion, I did think Class D might follow the same pattern but all that
did was stop me buying one until relatively recently. I'd used Markbass and a few others
by this time and wasn't struck on them anyway.
Once I had my latest big block amp, i then KNEW... IMO
[/quote]

I liked my LM3 but that was A/B. My Purple Chili Phat Bass was the best but didn't have the thump I've experiened with the Orange Rig

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1426686611' post='2720770']
What is this "heft" we're talking about? Surely there's nothing that can't be achieved with some clever compression and EQ?
[/quote]

Presumably that's what the likes of TC and Genz have been attempting with their magic circuits.

None of it has worked for me.... So far.

What is this "heft" we're talking about? Surely there's nothing that can't be achieved with some clever compression and EQ?
[/quote]

Never use compression. Have you learnt nothing on this forum? :)

i currently sit firmly in the middle of all this.

Currently using a TC Electronic Blacksmith (Class D but 1600 watts of it), into a Matamp 4x10 and an SWR Goliath 3 Jr both loaded with Neo speakers.

So you can say i am using big old school boxes with a shed load of power, but its all nice and light. Great for touring, sounds killer and with all TC's gizmo's and compression working its magic alongside my Darkglass B7K - i do not miss dragging my valve amp around :) monster sounds.

I've tried quite a few amps recently, and of the lightweight ones, there were two that I really liked - it was only later on that I discovered that they were actually class a/b, while the rest were class D.

Last night I brought my big iron power amp instead of the class a/b, and the difference was unmistakable; it just has so much authority to the tone.

[/quote]

I see no emoticons so can't tell if you're joking or not... if not, then you've obviously never played a gig with an Ampeg SVT and 810 on full song. It's like having a very large, heavy, sinister rubber ball bouncing on the stage behind you in time to the music. That's heft.

The nearest I`ve got to this with the lightweight gear is my Aguilar Tonehammer into a Barefaced Super 12T. It`s almost there, but the SVT into an 810 has that bit more. But having helped carry said SVT/810 rig, I`m never having one. Plus am still waiting til I use both Super 12Ts................

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1426793227' post='2722098']
The nearest I`ve got to this with the lightweight gear is my Aguilar Tonehammer into a Barefaced Super 12T. It`s almost there, but the SVT into an 810 has that bit more. But having helped carry said SVT/810 rig, I`m never having one. Plus am still waiting til I use both Super 12Ts................
[/quote]

Good grief, you'd be in danger of realigning the planets 😯