Why become a member? ×

I've gone back to heavyweight

sk8

The Berg AE's are the best Neo loaded cabs I've had the pleasure of owning, imo they don't lack for anything at all. I've also tried a bunch of Class D amps and every one of them has gone. I thought I'd give the Ashdown ABM500 a try, it was cheap and I thought what the hell, nothing to loose. To me it's a perfect match up. great tone for the stuff i'm playing, heft for days and headroom.
The next head I buy will have power tubes in it for sure.
B)

Had to supply a rig for a gig as they'd specified and 810 Eden or equivalent...??
The guy owned a Genz Benz and B/F cab which he told me would put out 1500watts..
( who makes this stuff up :lol: ) so I wonder why they needed to pay me to supply.
It couldn't have been for the carry, surely, and at 1500w it would surely have done the
gig...
:lol: :lol:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426686598' post='2720769']
While I don't doubt the experiences of the respondents so far, I do think that a lot of us hear with our eyes and muscles. If we heft in a heavy piece of gear, we expect it to sound "heavyweight" too...

Maybe another blind test is called for (like the one relating to cone diameters)? :P
[/quote]

This is a challenge that needs to be taken up on a BC Bass Bash, along the lines of Lozz's 'blindfold' Precision test.

Way I went, class D just cannot deliver the transients that lead to a thick meaty bass tone and to me Neo speakers just sound weird and not forgot the amazing tone you get with a valve amp....

And who said you have to carry this stuff, those little foldable sack barrows do the job nicely......

Edited by dan670844

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1426792295' post='2722080']
I see no emoticons so can't tell if you're joking or not... if not, then you've obviously never played a gig with an Ampeg SVT and 810 on full song. It's like having a very large, heavy, sinister rubber ball bouncing on the stage behind you in time to the music. That's heft.
[/quote]

I can get that feeling from any rig that goes loud enough, so I'm still totally confused (and yes i've played through an SVT and 810)

I never went lightweight although the SWR cabs are the lightest cabs I've ever owned..

Amp wise, I like iron and glass. Nothing against lightweight amps, just prefer the V-Type..

PA wise I largely use Macrotech Series Crown power amps (a lead / iron / concrete hybrid amp) but time with Lab Gruppen 3400 and 6400s has shown they're comparable. And expensive!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1426845283' post='2722524']
This is a challenge that needs to be taken up on a BC Bass Bash, along the lines of Lozz's 'blindfold' Precision test.
[/quote]

Well that`s a good idea there - we were looking to do some form of test at the Herts Bash later this year, could be one we could pick up.