Why become a member? ×

Speaker cables

Phil Adams

Please forgive me brothers and sisters for revisiting this topic. I have recently bought an new amp which has speakon speaker outputs. When I ordered the amp I asked if they were combination ones, and was assured they were. Was frustrated when the amp was delivered that I couldn't connect it to my cabs, so popped into the nearest music shop and bought two speakon to jack leads which were cheaper than I was expecting, but there was no choice so I took the pair.
First rehearsal with my new amp and couldn't get a peep out of it, I'd only taken one cab and it turned out that one lead was defective so used the other lead and all was well. When back home, I discovered that the speakon sockets had small screws to hold the cable ends in and the wires had pulled out. Took the other speakon socket apart to check where the wires were meant to go (there are 4 terminals) and that one fell apart in my hands as well. I stripped the wire ends back further and doubled the wire inner over to give the screws more meat to grip on and that has done the trick, but it has massively dented my confidence in the admittedly cheap cables and their flimsy terminals.
OK, so I've answered my own question (again) but here's another. I quickly searched the topic for previous threads on the issue, and saw various references to speakons being better with high power amps, and jacks not being up to the job, What happens then when you've got speakons on your amp, but jack sockets on your cab/s?
I thank you

Sound advice chaps. many thanks for the replies.
Order placed after many questions from me, and sensible advice from him.
Can't wait to receive the goods. I have decided to upgrade the cabs to speakon sockets, which Dave is sending me as well as the cables.

Should be wall shakingly good.

Thanks again chaps.

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1424106443' post='2692685']
Sound advice chaps. many thanks for the replies.
Order placed after many questions from me, and sensible advice from him.
Can't wait to receive the goods. I have decided to upgrade the cabs to speakon sockets, which Dave is sending me as well as the cables.

Should be wall shakingly good.

Thanks again chaps.
[/quote]

You won't regret it. Dave makes the chunkiest speakon cables in the known universe.