Why become a member? ×

new Mutron filter and octave pedals

Bassnut62

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I got the new TruTron and Octave Divider a couple of weeks ago and finally had chance for a few fiddles with them on guitar. These are the updated versions of the original MusiTronics MuTron and Octave Divider. Our bass player got them too.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Here's what I reckon on guitar:[/font][/color][list]
[*][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Tru Tron is sweeter than any of the other filters I've tried over the years. There are plenty of paramaters to adjust, but not too many, so you can go from extreme squelch, though distorted filter mayhem to mellow funkiness with ease. The sound seems to remain present in the mix with a few simple twiddles of controls which don't take long to learn. I particularly like how much sustain there is on the filtered notes. Most filters seem to close and die too quickly for my liking.[/font][/color]
[/list][list]
[*][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Octave Divider is as glorious as ever and now in a smaller case and it behaves very well on guitar. The Green Ringer gives an essential edge to the sound that helps distinguish that this is definitely a guitar not a bass.[/font][/color]
[/list]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Here's what our bass player says about the TruTron on bass:[/font][/color][list]
[*][color=#444444][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Yes! the TruTron3x is f***in better than a Mutron III fact! Much more balanced between the up or down sweep parameter without having to change gain level at all. Loads more peak and synthy sound or as I now like to call it the chew or Chewbacca. Plus it goes crazy when you slam in the drive oh and it's blendable. Ugh![/font][/color]
[/list]

Sorry, no; but I did look at some demos of the Neutrino and thought it does sound v nice.
From what I remember I think the N will do the standard Mu sound v well; but the TruTron has a truly impressive array of different filter sounds available, especially when you drive it with the Pre Gain rather than the Mu or filter drive. The various ranges and Passes that you can select on the TT are nice, especially the MIx pass.

• 1 month later...

I received a Neutrino today but I am returning it. It does cop the Mutron sound very well but the only way to control sensitivity is a gain control that also affects the output volume. Therefore with a hot output bass, you have to lower the gain, and end up with a volume drop when you engage the pedal. Not sure if the TruTron also behaves like this (it has two controls for the preamp so hopefully you can balance it unlike the Neutrino), but it's a deal breaker for me I'm afraid.

On another note, the Q-Tron model from my Zoom B1Xon still sounded even better and is my current favourite filter, so far beating out a Proton, Wonderlove and Neutrino. It might also kick my MXR M82 out of the house, to be decided. I have an Enigma and Groove Regulator incoming, and perhaps also outgoing depending on the results of my shootout!

That's a shame about the Neutrino, I thought that filter showed a lot of promise from the YouTube clips. The Tru-Tron 3x has a workaround for that issue with the ability to switch between Mu/Pre settings. The 'Mu' setting is the same as the original Mu-Tron where it controls both envelope and filter audio drive, but if you switch to 'Pre' you then have separate controls for envelope drive and preamp. Throw in the peak control, mix setting and a filter range high/low switch, & the Tru-Tron gives you a heck of a lot of flexibility. I hope either the Enigma and Groove Regulator work out for you. I always think Filter pedal's are always down to personal preference, and (like me) you can end up going through a lot of them until you really find one/some you like! :lol:

Our bass player has both original MuTron (not HazLabs) and the TT3x and he says the TT3x can match everything the MuTron can do and more. Re balancing the levels I can confirm, as BoOtsy says, that the ability to switch to PreGain drive allows you to balance level, even with the Mu side driven to buggery! BTW the new MuFx Octave Divider is v coll indeed too.

I have a GR mk1, which is a great filter and can do some of what the TT3x can do, tho in a slightly more tame way. The old QTron (steel one) was v nice too but a little bit untameable IME.

I defo recommend the new MuFX stuff; the only downside is the space they take and the pain-in-the-bum power supply, but that's probably what gives it so much spank.

Edited by Bassnut62