Why become a member? ×

Relic basses

Japhet

Sorry, but just don't get it. Start with a nice new bass then knock the crap out of it, maybe leave it in a damp place for bits of it to go rusty or could probably drag it home from a gig tied to the back of the car. Is it to give the impression that the player has been around the block plenty of times or is there something I'm missing? Don't see people throwing bricks at their new cars so what's the attraction when it comes to a guitar?

Depends on how you like instruments, I`m not overkeen on shiny new basses/guitars but also not overkeen on fake relicing either. Some fake reliced instruments look genuine, but others, like the Fender Joe Strummer Tele look appalling, doesn`t look anything like road-wear. Def not a fan of that type of relicing.

Forgot to add, my main dislike of shiny new instruments i probably more fear of the disappointment of knocking a prsitine bass for the first time, whereas with a worn instrument, well doesn`t matter then.

Edited by Lozz196

This has probably been done to death.
I couldn't care less what people do to their own instruments but I'd say there's two strong arguments for doing it.
1. Aesthetics. I'm slightly biased as someone who pays their rent by making art but I think aesthetics are crucial. You can get a wide range of tones out of any decent bass. The difference is looks and, most importantly, feel. I know I wouldn't own a bass that sounded amazing but looked like a heap of sh...
To some people, that is the most beautiful bass. Not me. I like the "coffee table" basses.
2. I think Paul Simonon said he bought a brand new P bass and as soon as he got it home, carved his initials into it. So it's done. There's no preciousness, no pussy-footing about lest the pristine new guitar get a scratch.

I'd say there's very, very few[i] relic'd bass[/i] owners who pretend, when questioned, that their bass is many decades old with genuine wear and tear.

Edited by alittlebitrobot

Each to their own on this one. Probably mentioned it before, but I own one reliced instrument and one old (1973) instrument. I bought them because they played great, sounded great, and looked great. I also own instruments that I bought new and pristine for the exact same reasons.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1424105957' post='2692675']
Depends on how you like instruments, I`m not overkeen on shiny new basses/guitars but also not overkeen on fake relicing either. Some fake reliced instruments look genuine, but others, like the Fender Joe Strummer Tele look appalling, doesn`t look anything like road-wear. Def not a fan of that type of relicing.

Forgot to add, my main dislike of shiny new instruments i probably more fear of the disappointment of knocking a prsitine bass for the first time, whereas with a worn instrument, well doesn`t matter then.
[/quote]

I feel exactly the same. So much so in fact that I wonder if we're related or that you may have some Derren Brownian powers over my mind. :s

I have a Limelight P which I ordered for the "look" and the fact it was a spec that Fender did not do.
It turned out to be the best playing and sounding bass (IMO) that I have played/used in my 52 years of attempting to be a bassist.
Yup it's a relic, but if it played and sounded the same and looked like brand new, I would still say the same thing.
But as Lozz says I'm not worried about it getting knocked or dinged.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1424111109' post='2692764']
I have a Limelight P which I ordered for the "look" and the fact it was a spec that Fender did not do.
It turned out to be the best playing and sounding bass (IMO) that I have played/used in my 52 years of attempting to be a bassist.
Yup it's a relic, but if it played and sounded the same and looked like brand new, I would still say the same thing.
[/quote]

+1 Limelight basses are exceptional players and sound amazing. They also happen to be relics. That's secondary.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1424102971' post='2692630']
Sorry, but just don't get it. Start with a nice new bass then knock the crap out of it, maybe leave it in a damp place for bits of it to go rusty or could probably drag it home from a gig tied to the back of the car. Is it to give the impression that the player has been around the block plenty of times or is there something I'm missing? Don't see people throwing bricks at their new cars so what's the attraction when it comes to a guitar?
[/quote]
Your description might apply to some so-called relics but they really are not all the same.

For example, the Fender Pino Palladino actually looks much like an old bass in a fairly natural way, but as already mentioned the Joe Strummer looks completely new but fake. Neither looks like the description you give.

Hmm you've obviously never heard of "rat look" or been to many classic cars shows recently.
Relic or patina (faux or real) has been around for years. Only fairly recently become fashionable for musical instruments.

I don't get cup cake making or customising clothes but I manage to let it go and let those that do enjoy it.

If it really does irritate you, Don't pay them any more attention :)