Why become a member? ×

Relic basses

Japhet

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1424120978' post='2692956']Hmm you've obviously never heard of "rat look" or been to many classic cars shows recently.[/quote]

Rat Look is not really my thing but Reno's "The Zombie" 1959 Lowlight is up there as one of my favourite Karmann Ghias ever, seen here at the 2006 Volksworld show.

[attachment=184106:CRW_3429.jpg]

Edited by cybertect

[quote name='alittlebitrobot' timestamp='1424127361' post='2693065']
no no no no...you need to get on some forum and make them explain themselves.
[/quote]

That's right. Why should THEY blithely carry on doing what they like to do without a care in the world!?

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1424152333' post='2693168']
The feel and sound of a good pre CBS with the reliability and functionality of a new instrument. What's not to like? The finishes can look crap, but so can many genuinely reliced instruments.
[/quote]

But if you spec your own relic there's a chance it'll look something akin you what you want. But yes, a decent relic builder's philosophy is to provide a bass that looks the part but plays as well as, and sounds much like, the 'real thing'. So you don't have to take your £8000 bass to gigs... just leave it in the loft for your nephew to find in twenty years time. ;)

Edited by discreet

I can't see much point in buying a relic. I also agree that buying a new bass is all shiny and stuff until that first scratch, ding, etc. and that is a first hurdle to get over. I have the same with new car, new bicycle, etc. That first scratch is the barrier.

I think that I'd like to see my history written in my own instrument - I'll not do my own accelerated relic though.

I have a Sandberg California TM4 which is heavily relic'd and it's quite simply the best job I've ever seen. The Fender road worn, to me don't look very realistic.

There's a Fender Rory Gallagher Strat that looks terrible. The flaking paint effect has been achieved by using stickers!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1424164324' post='2693234']
I have a Sandberg California TM4 which is heavily relic'd and it's quite simply the best job I've ever seen. The Fender road worn, to me don't look very realistic.
[/quote]

I agree and disagree. I think the Sandberg stuff looks excellent and I had a quick shot on a FWRJ at the Herts bash and it was lovely. Like old slippers.

Dont really care for the relic look, but do love a bit of patina. Haven't been playing bass long enough to age mine yet, and I'm not going out of my way to deliberately scratch or knock it but I completely disagree with taking off my belt before slinging over my shoulder. Its not like I'm going take a wet teabag to the maple neck wither.

Call me tight but I resent paying for someone to do what I can do for free. I've reliced my car and I kick myself every time I drive through that car park!

My 18 year old Lakland has no major marks on it and very few blemishes. How can that detract from its look.

IMO you can't get away from honest wear and tear but getting buckle marks on the back of an instrument is just being careless and sloppy.

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1424120978' post='2692956']
Hmm you've obviously never heard of "rat look" or been to many classic cars shows recently.
Relic or patina (faux or real) has been around for years. Only fairly recently become fashionable for musical instruments.
[/quote]
Damn, you beat me to it, I was going to mention rat rods :)

I agree with several of the things said above, such as:
[i]each to there [/i]{sic} [i]own I say[/i]
and
[i]I don't get cup cake making or customising clothes but I manage to let it go and let those that do enjoy it. If it really does irritate you, don't pay them any more attention[/i]
and
[i]Some people like them, some don't, and the world keeps turning....[/i]

I love a nice piece of wood (stop sniggering at the back there) and a good coffee-table bass really does it for me. But on the other hand, I would order a light relic Limelight J in a heartbeat if I had the cash, because I like that look too. I'd particularly like one that looked like a knackered old stack-knob but was secretly carrying an active 2-band EQ and some serious contemporary pickups -- what were we saying about rat rods? :lol:

Edited by UglyDog

Here's the thing...

Fender relics and gibson 'aged' I get. Not everyone can afford a vintage fender bass or Gibson LP but would love one and the relics fill the gap, it's like an aspirational or 'as close as I'll ever get' type purchase to a guitar or bass worth anything between the value of a family hatchback or a three bed semi. Some look good, some are crap looking - if you like it and you buy it then well done you.

Stuff like the sandbergs I just don't get. It's a jazz or precision 'copy' with fake aging on it - and I've not liked the sandbergs I've tried so then being an 'improved' j or p is purely down to your opinion and if you like the sandbergs and their relics then well done you. This goes for G&L rustics and Sadowsky Vintiquity too - not reissues of prized vintage and rare instruments, modern incarnations of a bass guitar with scratches on it.

If you polish your shiny basses daily and wipe your strings down before and after playing and sanitise your hands etc, then that's your shout.

Each to their own, variety is the spice and so on.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1424164324' post='2693234']
There's a Fender Rory Gallagher Strat that looks terrible. The flaking paint effect has been achieved by using stickers!
[/quote]

The problem with the aesthetics of some 'signature relics' is that they are made to look as close as possible not to an artistically pleasing ideal of what a nicely worn bass should look like, but to what a genuinely worn instrument actually did look like. I don't like the look of the Fender Jaco Relic at all, but have to say that when you see photos of that model and photos of the bass on which it's modelled, it's pretty close. Still ugly though.

I have both shiny and relic.

It's definitely true that I worry less about the finish on my Hardcore aged Sandberg than on my shiny Marleaux!

Finish is way down the list when I pick a bass though. Weight, balance, sound are the important things. I'd happily gig a neon pink bass with an airbrushed pic of One Direction on it if the main criteria were met.

Now - can we ban this topic for once and for all? Or at least auto merge it into 1 thread forever?

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1424172253' post='2693344']
... with an airbrushed pic of One Direction on it if the main criteria were met.
[/quote]

You can take it just a little too far!

Whilst my guitars are all pristine, my basses are in a variety of worn states from 30 years of gigging mojo to the previous owner wearing a studded wriast band and dimpling the finish! My next bass will be a lightly worn Limelight 70's P-bass quite a simply because 1) I want that look 2) I can't afford the genuine article and 3) if ever I could afford it, I'd be terrified of putting a mark on it or even worse!

Edited by DaytonaRik

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1424170900' post='2693324']
I'd also have absolutely no problem getting any old and shabby looking instrument refinished if everything else about it was what I wanted.
[/quote]

Un-relicing - there's a whole new can of worms! Imagine the uproar :-)

I had what after much discussion with fellow bass geeks in person we declared a factory refinish pre EB Stingray, the black was on top of black and chipped in places after 30+ years of heavy use but was of a factory finish layered on another for sure, I also had a bitsa Jazz project I bought new that was CAR but a Blue Metalic underneath which was the other colour of only two available for the Affinity Jazz at the time so that must have been a factory refin too, it would have made quite a nice relic with the grinder really with the CAR showing the met blue underneath, both basses belong to bass chatters now but I forget who has what :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424180127' post='2693504']

Well that's where we differ, because I would not! :D
[/quote]

Nor I, I like a bass to sound good obviously, but it's got to look good too. That's part of the charm of different basses. A guitar is something sexy. If you are happy to play a garish, horrible looking thing, you are further tarnishing the reputation of bassists to be the dull one that sits at the back supplying a necessary evil to the flashy guitarist, and not be an equally flamboyant star of the band!

Ok, pink would be flamboyant, but not in a good, rock star way ;)