Why become a member? ×

Relic basses

Japhet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424255047' post='2694316']
No - as BigRedX pointed out above, it's an 'un-relic'.
[/quote]

Sir, I disagree. Yours was a re-fin job, not a relic job. The previous owner had intended it to look new, albeit in his cack-handed manner. What your Hayman is is a re-re-fin. And another thing, you were bloody lucky to get it back finished and dry!

None of my basses need to be reliced - I don't believe any of them have lost the lice they had in the first place.

I did buy a Tokai T-bird which the last guy had been at with a sander and some manner of poking implement with which he'd engraved lovely (not really) skulls on it.

I got it cheap - unsurprisingly given the state of it - and am currently halfway through restoring and refinishing it for my own entertainment.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1424255219' post='2694320']
Sir, I disagree. Yours was a re-fin job, not a relic job.
[/quote]

I know it's not a relic job! That's what I'm saying, it's an 'un-relic', i.e. NOT a relic. Put your bloody glasses on.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1424255219' post='2694320']
What your Hayman is is a re-re-fin. And another thing, you were bloody lucky to get it back finished and dry!
[/quote]

Yes, I know... if the madness had set in earlier it could have been a nightmare, much as you experienced. But in that case I would have set up camp outside his door and stayed there until I got a result. I'm very glad it didn't come to that.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1424250393' post='2694247']

Nor I, I like a bass to sound good obviously, but it's got to look good too. That's part of the charm of different basses. A guitar is something sexy. If you are happy to play a garish, horrible looking thing, you are further tarnishing the reputation of bassists to be the dull one that sits at the back supplying a necessary evil to the flashy guitarist, and not be an equally flamboyant star of the band!

Ok, pink would be flamboyant, but not in a good, rock star way ;)
[/quote]

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DrSativa/media/bgm-electra-bass-big.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/DrSativa/bgm-electra-bass-big.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Awesome!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1424296469' post='2694969']

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DrSativa/media/bgm-electra-bass-big.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/DrSativa/bgm-electra-bass-big.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Awesome!
[/quote]

Spoilt by the headstock!

I'm ever so slightly OCD, so I like my new basses to be new and shinny. Although to clarify, the paintwork I'm not too bad about, a bit of sanding or a few dings that's ok, if the bass was right for. It's the hardware. When I see some of the relics and all that grime and dirt and rust on the chrome etc...I just want to get a pot of brasso out and give them a good clean. They look like you might catch dysentery or something equally horrid.

I didn't realise until recently that Rory Gallagher's guitar looked like it did due to a rare condition. When he perspired, which he did a bit, his sweat was a lot more acidic than most other peoples and it gradually weakened the paint and it came off. Well, that's what his brother said in an interview. Who knows.