Why become a member? ×

Fingerstyle Help

Nicko

I'm sure theres relevant threads here already, so feel free to redirect me.

I was at rehearsal yesterday and was playing Use Somebody by KOL. Its not a difficult song but the 2nd verse has a tricky rhythm part which I find easier to play fingerstyle. At the start it was OK, but by then end of my right hand was practically hanging off. I think it was just the "chugginess" of the rest of the song.

As a recovering 6 stringer I'm always more confoirtable witha pick for anything with straight rhythm or that chugs.

I think I pluck quite hard.
I think my fingers move a lot when I play - I checked it in the mirror and the right hand doesn't look very efficient.
I seem to be much better playing "badly" with one finger rather than alternate forefinger/middle

So my question is, is it just stamina that I need to build up, or is my technique wrong (I suspect the latter or a mixture) - any tips would be appreciated.

Where the "hand hanging off" is concerned - it sounds like there's a lot of tension and you may be "digging in" too hard. Try and keep your hand more relaxed, and you should be able to get through without a lot of fatigue. Playing with a lot of tension could lead to problems later on (RSI).

In respect of alternate plucking (fingerstyle), it's just a matter of concentrating on getting it really clean - I've been using the exercises in this video and it's really helped me clean my fingerstyle up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHikLbUBCY4

Hope this helps?

IMO, digging in is a waste of energy.

Just relax and lighten up your touch, which will improve your tone, speed and fluidity, and work away at it. Your stamina and dexterity will improve over time.

IMO a pick is fine but you should be able to play both ways.

It's also perfectly OK to use just one finger.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1424165602' post='2693245']
Where the "hand hanging off" is concerned - it sounds like there's a lot of tension and you may be "digging in" too hard. Try and keep your hand more relaxed, and you should be able to get through without a lot of fatigue. Playing with a lot of tension could lead to problems later on (RSI).

In respect of alternate plucking (fingerstyle), it's just a matter of concentrating on getting it really clean - I've been using the exercises in this video and it's really helped me clean my fingerstyle up:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHikLbUBCY4"]https://www.youtube....h?v=PHikLbUBCY4[/url]

Hope this helps?
[/quote]

Its more the muscles in the forearm that are the problem, but I'll keep an eye on it.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1424191734' post='2693675']
Its more the muscles in the forearm that are the problem, but I'll keep an eye on it.
[/quote]

I always think things like that are just a degree of bass playing fitness, in that you are playing something that
is new and therefore you tire more easily..

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1424191734' post='2693675']
[/quote]

That really is just conditioning/practice :)
But technique can have an effect on it too, perhaps some photos of your current technique, or even a video of your plucking hand playing the song, would help people make suggestions.
Going to a good teacher will also do you the world of good :)

Si

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1424167961' post='2693276']IMO, digging in is a waste of energy.[/quote]

Depends what you're going for - mellow Jazz I'd agree but to really get a percussive hard sound you need a little energy. Think about the Maiden sound and that just doesn't work without digging in.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1424167961' post='2693276']
Just relax and lighten up your touch, which will improve your tone, speed and fluidity, and work away at it. Your stamina and dexterity will improve over time.
[/quote]

This is spot on - when I picked bass back up in 2013 I had to swap out to a pick for faster, constant, stuff because my hand got too tired. 18 months on and it's not an issue, I rarely go back to a pick and find I have to turn the amp up when I do which is just too much hassle to do mid set.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1424167961' post='2693276']
It's also perfectly OK to use just one finger.
[/quote]

I've been trying to analyse my playing - trying to understand what I do so I can see where to improve and it's quite tricky... If you're concentrating on what you do bad habits don't manifest, just when you're not paying attention! I have noticed that I quite often swap between one and two fingers, particularly on fast 8th and 16th parts. I've also noticed I tend not to do the 12121212 but a more random pattern depending very much on where I want emphasis to fall using the middle finger for harder notes. For really fast stuff I ten to just use the index finger up and down like a pick.

I guess the key thing is to do what works for you as a player without getting too hung up on technique unless you find you can't play something properly.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1425166381' post='2704725']
I've been trying to analyse my playing - trying to understand what I do so I can see where to improve and it's quite tricky... If you're concentrating on what you do bad habits don't manifest, just when you're not paying attention! I have noticed that I quite often swap between one and two fingers, particularly on fast 8th and 16th parts. [b] I've also noticed I tend not to do the 12121212 but a more random pattern depending very much on where I want emphasis to fall using the middle finger for harder notes.[/b] For really fast stuff I ten to just use the index finger up and down like a pick.

I guess the key thing is to do what works for you as a player without getting too hung up on technique unless you find you can't play something properly.
[/quote]

On a strict 8 pattern, you have to be so precise using both fingers so 1,2,1,2 it has to be..otherwise it is a mess.
Even strict rotation between both fingers will easily sound odd unless you really have it down... which too many finger style players
don't. Using 1 finger or double stroking may get you round this..and it is legitimate but then it might impact on your technique
at some later point with faster 16's..
I'd really recommend using both fingers to students and play it very strict and regular...almost as an exercise...and then use the 1 for the sound,
but not because you couldn't play it otherwise.

Dakota is an example where you should be able to play alternate fingers but you might go to 1 digit ONLY for the more regular consistent sound.
Check out the next band you go see..they'll very likely do it... and see how rigid it is..or should be..??

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1425584541' post='2708891']
On a strict 8 pattern, you have to be so precise using both fingers so 1,2,1,2 it has to be..otherwise it is a mess.
Even strict rotation between both fingers will easily sound odd unless you really have it down... which too many finger style players
don't. Using 1 finger or double stroking may get you round this..and it is legitimate but then it might impact on your technique
at some later point with faster 16's..
I'd really recommend using both fingers to students and play it very strict and regular...almost as an exercise...and then use the 1 for the sound,
but not because you couldn't play it otherwise.

Dakota is an example where you should be able to play alternate fingers but you might go to 1 digit ONLY for the more regular consistent sound.
Check out the next band you go see..they'll very likely do it... and see how rigid it is..or should be..??
[/quote]

Good points, it'll depend on what feel you're going for but on a very strict 8 pattern I'll generally use index only if I want a really tight sound and the bpm isn't too high for consistency. I will swap to a pick in some scenarios but I prefer the connection I feel with the bass using fingers.

I'm also pretty happy with my ability to play with consistent tone, attach and volume with 1212 style, galloping 12 3 and 1 23 (think maiden) is ok but I really need more work to get the 3rd finger as solid.

It's all about time spent drilling the technique and resisting the urge to 'noodle' when practising.