Why become a member? ×

Walk on by - The Stranglers bass tone

paul j h

Following on from the recent classic albums thread, I have revisited some of my colleagues suggestions and thoroughly enjoyed relistening to stuff I had not heard for many years. Anyway, I listened to the above track and thought that this (for me) was THE definitive bass tone. Anyone of you knowledgeable folks know what JJ used, I assume a Precision but what else? into the desk and studio trickery? Ampeg? I would like to get as close as possible, obviously I realise I'm not JJ but if part of the tone is the kit than that's a good starting point. Cheers Paul.

Precision, Rotosounds, played with a pick (very aggressively) very near to the bridge. From what I understand JJs Hiwatt amp was bass and treble only, with both maxed, so boost both as much as you can, leaving mids flat. There was a surprising amount of bass in his tone, which often gets forgotten about due to the aggressive twang. Low action as well should get some good additional clank.

Looking at the amp spec Paul, sub-harmonics off, compression on to suit. From there, valve-drive on not to distortion but to break-up, I`d then boost the treble a fair bit, and if you`ve tweeters that can be switched off do that. Then I`d look at boosting the mids at the 1.3Hz setting, and if you can do this, maybe cut at the 340Hz. Then add bass as required to get the "oomph" into the sound, but not to make it too low-end heavy.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1424188421' post='2693625']
Hi if you can PM me the settings I'd appreciate it. Cheers Paul.
[/quote]

you might be able to garner some info from this post:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/110434-ashdown-jj-500-jj-burnel-stranglers-model/page__p__1159259#entry1159259

Maybe it's just me, I don't think a P Bass has any sort of unique sound or tone. Tone comes from the fingers of whoever is playing any bass, not the bass.

I can tell the difference from , for example round wound strings as opposed to flats, but that's where it ends.

Blue

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1424179175' post='2693483']
Following on from the recent classic albums thread, I have revisited some of my colleagues suggestions and thoroughly enjoyed relistening to stuff I had not heard for many years. Anyway, I listened to the above track and thought that this (for me) was THE definitive bass tone.
[/quote]

Ok, I'm officially an old fuddy duddy.

I have listened to the Strangler's track.

No disrespect to the OP. I am concerned over the recent discussions around tone.Where it comes from and how to achieve the tone you want.

I'm taking a hard stance that it does not come from the bass guitar. It has more to do with what you do with your fingers, your style, how you execute, attack and deliver your lines.For example, to me the tone of a pick user is a lot different from guys that use their fingers.

If you don't make any connection in your playing between your attack, your control of finger muscles, your dexterity or aggression I think you need to re-examine your whole concept or philosophy on tone.

My tone will be the same with any bass I play.

I think or I hope this will probably resonate with the more senior players.

Now processing and amplification is another discussion.

Blue

Edited by blue

Thanks everyone for your helpful and encouraging replies. HOWEVER, BLUE as seems to be the norm in your posts, thanks for your condescending and arrogant reply I said In my original post that I realised I was not JJ Brunel, all I wanted was some pointers on how he achieved the tone, what equipment used etc I have since watched loads of stuff on you tube etc. But the answer from you was one of conceit at someone who is clearly beneath your lofty heights in both ability and knowledge/talent! I really think you should "check the attitude" there rant over and breathe

Edited by paul j h

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1424420914' post='2696056']
Thanks everyone for your helpful and encouraging replies. HOWEVER, BLUE as seems to be the norm in your posts, thanks for your condescending and arrogant reply I said In my original post that I realised I was not JJ Brunel, all I wanted was some pointers on how he achieved the tone, what equipment used etc I have since watched loads of stuff on you tube etc. But the answer from you was one of conceit at someone who is clearly beneath your lofty heights in both ability and knowledge/talent! I really think you should "check the attitude" there rant over and breathe
[/quote]

I gotta say, having read Blue's post, it doesn't really strike me as being particularly arrogant or condescending. He has got a point too, player [b][i]do[/i][/b] tend to sound pretty much the same regardless of what the instrument is they're using. That's maybe why guys like players, it's their playing that they like, not the bass, amp or strings.

Two players can play exactly the same bass, through exactly the same amp, with exactly the same settings, and sound different.

:)

Edited by ambient

To be fair the op states he's not jj and that kit is part of the tone (which is true in this case)

Also blue finishes his post with "signal processing and aplification is a different discussion"

I do think most of the players on here realize the the it's in the fingers thing (which should include wrist for picks :) )but I feel that we should be able to ask on here about trying to emulate classic bass sounds without being reminded of that.

Part of the fun of being in a covers band for me is trying to copy the bass sound, so it could be Duran Duran then Stranglers , which requires some alteration , not only in playing style but also settings/effects

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1424388072' post='2695937']
Maybe it's just me, I don't think a P Bass has any sort of unique sound or tone. Tone comes from the fingers of whoever is playing any bass, not the bass.

I can tell the difference from , for example round wound strings as opposed to flats, but that's where it ends.

Blue
[/quote]

I must concede the use of the word "tone" in this context confuses me a bit.Tone is the other knob on the Precision that changes my sound from Jah Wobble to Algy Ward.

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1424179175' post='2693483']
Following on from the recent classic albums thread, I have revisited some of my colleagues suggestions and thoroughly enjoyed relistening to stuff I had not heard for many years. Anyway, I listened to the above track and thought that this (for me) was THE definitive bass tone. Anyone of you knowledgeable folks know what JJ used, I assume a Precision but what else? into the desk and studio trickery? Ampeg? I would like to get as close as possible, obviously I realise I'm not JJ but if part of the tone is the kit than that's a good starting point. Cheers Paul.
[/quote]

Funnily enough, I got an LM III and a Bergantino HD112 the other day. Set it up, plugged in my JV maple neck Precision and hey presto - instant JJ sound! Everything was set flat too...

Well, thats not a bad thing!

I seem to remember something about him using Marshall and then later Trace..

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1424525021' post='2697298']

Funnily enough, I got an LM III and a Bergantino HD112 the other day. Set it up, plugged in my JV maple neck Precision and hey presto - instant JJ sound! Everything was set flat too...

Well, thats not a bad thing!

I seem to remember something about him using Marshall and then later Trace..
[/quote]

And I bet he still sounded like J. J Burnell.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1424391281' post='2695969']
Ok, I'm officially an old fuddy duddy.

I have listened to the Strangler's track.

No disrespect to the OP. I am concerned over the recent discussions around tone.Where it comes from and how to achieve the tone you want.

I'm taking a hard stance that it does not come from the bass guitar. It has more to do with what you do with your fingers, your style, how you execute, attack and deliver your lines.For example, to me the tone of a pick user is a lot different from guys that use their fingers.

If you don't make any connection in your playing between your attack, your control of finger muscles, your dexterity or aggression I think you need to re-examine your whole concept or philosophy on tone.

My tone will be the same with any bass I play.

I think or I hope this will probably resonate with the more senior players.

Now processing and amplification is another discussion.
edit, btw we're going way of topic here

Blue
[/quote]so we're wasting our money by buying say an MIA precision over a Squire affinity or there's no difference in sound between a precision and a Jazz or a Stingray? or have I misunderstood your post?
edit, btw we're going way off topic here

Edited by PaulWarning