Why become a member? ×

Octave Pedle

pip

[quote name='Dragonlord' post='5459' date='May 24 2007, 12:15 AM']Well, to be honest, I don't see an "IMO" in this post either:[/quote]
exactly

toasted it has to be said you do seem to have a bit of a attitude problem with me, whats up dude?

[quote name='Toasted' post='5705' date='May 24 2007, 01:18 PM']Damn, you caught me out. Looks like I'm a hypocrite!

.... I'll live.[/quote]

Looks like you'll be needing some horlicks tonight to help with all the sleep you're going to be missing :)

[quote name='Waldo' post='5724' date='May 24 2007, 01:35 PM']Looks like you'll be needing some horlicks tonight to help with all the sleep you're going to be missing :)[/quote]

My late Grandfather, bless him, used to drink a Beechams powder with a double of brandy in a cup of warm milk before bed every night.

Slept like a baby, apparently.

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='BassManKev' post='2321' date='May 19 2007, 04:49 PM']really u think that? i found the bass synth wah to be totally useless to me, and the octave down it has didnt come close to my deep impact's one, in fact the deep impact wiped the floor from every point of view, which is why i got rid of it a week after i bought it[/quote]

How so? was it the tracking? the sound? what were you trying to play? etc etc

I'd pick

Digital - Digitech BSW
Analog (Good) - Foxrox Octron
Analog (Good/Old School/Funky/Bad Tracking) - Dod Octoplus

I loved my octoplus for doing anything where people had been using a Boss OC-2 overall its a much better sounding and tracking pedal but it doesn't come close to the more modern offerings which to me was part of its charm. I'd happily buy any of the above again.

[quote name='Toasted' post='5744' date='May 24 2007, 01:52 PM']My late Grandfather, bless him, used to drink a Beechams powder with a double of brandy in a cup of warm milk before bed every night.

Slept like a baby, apparently.[/quote]

I'm surprised he ever woke up :)

I'll agree with the people who have said that the Digitech BSW is the best octaver going, for the price. Has no problems tracking and sounds natural.

I do have problems with the other functions on the BSW though, they really do not track well at all with my bass. You'd think that a graphite necked, high output bass would track exceedingly well but I think perhaps the problem is that my bass is just too powerful for it. It's very odd. When I use my 6 string guitar with it it tracks well and sound really cool but with my Fleabass it's a total mess.

[quote name='Toasted' post='5705' date='May 24 2007, 03:18 PM']Damn, you caught me out. Looks like I'm a hypocrite!

.... I'll live.[/quote]
Uhm... wasn't my intention. I was just pointing out that he just stated his opinion in exactly the same way as you (or anyone else), but you jumped on him "for not adding 'IMO'". Are you having a bad day or something? There's no need for this crap, chill out..

[quote name='Waldo' post='5864' date='May 24 2007, 04:33 PM']My Dad's bigger than your Dad.[/quote]

My Dad's wresting champion of the world. T3h WIN.

EDIT: I'm also the rubbish spelling champion of the world.

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='Toasted' post='5870' date='May 24 2007, 04:38 PM']My Dad's wresting champion of the world. T3h WIN.

EDIT: I'm also the rubbish spelling champion of the world.[/quote]

Yeah, well my Dad.....err....err....

Back at you with a million knobs on?

:)

Edited by Waldo

The best I've tried, to my ears, in my opinion, possibly not for everyone but I like it :huh: , is the EH POG. I do still like the original Boss OC2 though and that's what I generally use live as it's the sound most non-bassists think of when they think of an octaver on bass ( also it's smaller :) )

Still haven't tried a HOG, but I mean to one day.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='7916' date='May 28 2007, 12:39 AM']Waldo: none of the online dictionaries could recognise even a single word, so an easy translation isn't possible.

Alun: the HOG is very much like the POG but better IMHO. If you can make it to the next bash I'll bring mine for you to have a play with.[/quote]

I believe it's Greek written in our Latin alphabet, what it means, or why it was posted, I don't know. Maybe someone could clue us in?

[quote name='Dragonlord' post='8362' date='May 28 2007, 10:32 PM']BTW, Alpha-Dave, have you compared it to the POG? Someone on TB said that it doesn't track as well as the POG on bass. Have you found any truth in that?[/quote]

In all honesty I haven't tried the POG, I found the HOG was great so went straight for that. It does -2 down, and +4 octaves up (with various intervals). Straight out of the box, the octaves up and intervals will track a low E, and start to mess up on the D of my B string, but other than that it's perfect. The octave downs appear to work perfectly on all notes, but I can't tell if they're actually working below the A on my E string because my amp can't put anything that low out.

The guys on TB don't specify what the issue is, but if anything it may be the it's because the HOG is too good. One annoying thing is that it'll octave any fret noises, including some that I didn't realise I had before! Therefore I had to change to my neck p'up because of the reduced treble and stringer fundamental and it was great.

Also one of the best features is the gate the works before the octave effect, this allows only the strongest note through (the fundamental), and with that on ANY note tracks, even low B.

I spent well over an hour playing around with it in the shop, found it could make a range of good sounds, but then spend a further 10 hours over the next week getting the really great sounds out of it, and it took me well into a couple of months to master how to get it to gliss from one drone chord to the next. Also getting it to work with all my other FX took quite a while too.

So to be honest if the guys on TB just spent 30 min in a shop A/Bing them then I'm sure they got better sounds out of the POG straight away, but the HOG is capable of so much more.

I’ll get round to writing a proper review of it soon with some decent sound clips.

D

There aren't many, but there are a few places that stock them such as Hot Rox in Nottingham where I got mine from. If you ever pass through Teesside (most people do quickly), you're welcome to try mine.

Is there a Bash organised for September yet? I don't think anything has been mentioned yet.