Why become a member? ×

Octave Pedle

pip

Thanks for that, yea I know wot u mean I haven't tried any of the Boss range yet, but I don't reckon the sound to them sounds that brill, rather flat imo.

Edited by pip

[quote name='pip' post='1788' date='May 18 2007, 09:04 PM']Hi ppls

I'm considering a good octave pedle and wondered if u guys have any suggestions? I quite like the EBS Octabass but I'm willing to here what others u might suggest?

Thanks Phil[/quote]

The Digitech Bass Synth Wah is widely regarded as the best octaver effect.

Hamster

I use the BOSS Octaver, which works fine down to middle C but 'can' struggle tracking lower. Turn down the 2nd (lowest) octave for better results.

Oddly I considered getting a better unit but came to the conclusion I prefer the tone of the Boss, you just have to work around it rather than fight against it.

[quote name='Hamster' post='1868' date='May 18 2007, 10:58 PM']The Digitech Bass Synth Wah is widely regarded as the best octaver effect.

Hamster[/quote]

that pedal is appalling, i sold it almost as soon as i got it

i just use my deep impact for an octave down, but ye id prob reccommend the ebs

[quote name='Hamster' post='1868' date='May 18 2007, 11:58 PM']The Digitech Bass Synth Wah is widely regarded as the best octaver effect.

Hamster[/quote]

I agree. I honestly think the pedal is worth buying just for the octaver, let alone all the synth and filter stuff. Fantastic pedal at an affordable price. I only got rid of mine because I got an EHX Bass Micro Synth, and the octave effect on it wasn't as good!

[quote name='Higgie' post='2291' date='May 19 2007, 04:55 PM']I agree. I honestly think the pedal is worth buying just for the octaver, let alone all the synth and filter stuff. Fantastic pedal at an affordable price. I only got rid of mine because I got an EHX Bass Micro Synth, and the octave effect on it wasn't as good![/quote]
really u think that? i found the bass synth wah to be totally useless to me, and the octave down it has didnt come close to my deep impact's one, in fact the deep impact wiped the floor from every point of view, which is why i got rid of it a week after i bought it

+1 on the dod octoplus. It sounds lush. I find though i dont always want to go lower than the A string with an octave pedal because its kind of pointless. You tend to always loose the sub and all you hear is the note and no beef!

However, dudewheresmybass has the right idea with a subharmonic generator. Lots of beef!

Also, the Akai deep impact octave down sounds good too.

The best octave down ive heard was built into my old ashdown ABM 300 EVO II head, if the ashdown octave pedal uses the same circuitry (no idea if it does) it could be worth looking at.

right now i'm using an old Digitech WH1 for all my octave needs.

[quote name='Ant' post='2882' date='May 20 2007, 02:37 PM']The best octave down ive heard was built into my old ashdown ABM 300 EVO II head, if the ashdown octave pedal uses the same circuitry (no idea if it does) it could be worth looking at.

right now i'm using an old Digitech WH1 for all my octave needs.[/quote]

That's what EVERYONE was hoping for with the Ashdown pedal, but they managed to bugger it up lol. The octave pedal is sh*te.

And +1 on the Whammy for octaving needs, though I use the inferior re-issue, unlike Ant with his WH1-ness.

I like the EH Octave Multiplexer. Nice warm, almost lo-fi tones. Has some interesting controls on it, & a 'sub' switch which kicks in a nice farty fuzz sound. Tracking is not brilliant, about same as Boss.
Used a Boss before, but didn't like sound - seemed a bit too synthetic(?) to me.

[quote name='dr.funk' post='2256' date='May 19 2007, 03:50 PM']I use a Pearl Octaver which sounds fantastic, quite a dirty almost synthy tone. Mind you they are quite expensive on ebay (no longer in production) I am borrowing mine of my bass teacher.[/quote]+1 for the old Pearl 8ve pedal... I have one and the sound is superb, it knocks seven shades of sheeite out of the Boss IMO. It has an 'octave up' feature too, which to be honest is pretty crap, but the usual octaves down are tremendous. They are fetching absurd amounts on fleaBay at the moment.
Glad you're still liking the EH pedal Nick! :)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='2154' date='May 19 2007, 11:48 AM']that pedal is appalling, i sold it almost as soon as i got it[/quote]

You weren't listening hard enough. The Octaver in that pedal is sublime.

I'd get either a Foxrox Octron, or if I had the space and patience an EHX POG.

[quote name='Toasted' post='3510' date='May 21 2007, 11:36 AM']You weren't listening hard enough. The Octaver in that pedal is sublime.

I'd get either a Foxrox Octron, or if I had the space and patience an EHX POG.[/quote]
no i gurantee you i was listening hard, and i still didnt like it. true its the best feature on the pedal, best of a bad bunch though im afraid, deep impact preset 6 ftw

[quote name='BassManKev' post='3528' date='May 21 2007, 12:00 PM']no i gurantee you i was listening hard, and i still didnt like it. true its the best feature on the pedal, best of a bad bunch though im afraid, deep impact preset 6 ftw[/quote]

Your ears and my ears must be very different - but different strokes for different folks, right? Maybe you should consider that before presenting your subjective opinion as fact?

I spent significant time with many different Octavers. Tayste and I sat on the floor of the studio and listened for hours looking for the right octaver tone. We had: deep impact, xBSW, octron, OC-2, OC-3, POG, EHX BMS, arion octaver, pearl octaver. The octron was the best analogue octave pedal and the xBSW was the best digital - in both our opinions.

I have to recommend the EH HOG synth pedal.

Pros: It can handle a low E (because it has a fundamental-filter at the front end), does 2 ocataves down and 4 up, plus harmonics, has a foot controlable filter effect. Can do the octave bend like a digitec whammy, but you can play during the travel.
Cons: HUGE footprint (with expresion pedal and memory foot switch) and significant cost.

[quote name='Toasted' post='3586' date='May 21 2007, 04:09 PM']An "IMO" goes along way, Rich. Don't you agree?[/quote]
Well, to be honest, I don't see an "IMO" in this post either:
[quote name='Toasted' post='3510' date='May 21 2007, 02:36 PM']You weren't listening hard enough. The Octaver in that pedal is sublime.[/quote]