Why become a member? ×

Sansamp question

mike_b

I've got a Sansamp BDDI and I'm very happy with it, think it's a great pedal for my needs. Usually I try and use it as a stomp box to colour the tone (bass to sansamp to bass head then DI out of the head).

However the sound guy at my local venue always insists I just use the DI on the Sansamp and no amp, which I can understand from a convenience point of view, but I always find that 1.) I can never hear myself, no matter how much I ask for the bass to be turned up in the monitors and 2.) People in the audience say the bass is non-existent, which is very frustrating.

It is possible to DI out of the sansamp and use the output/ parallel output at the same time to plug into my amp to use it as a monitor/ use the amp alongside the PA? Apologies if this is a ridiculous question, but I haven't been able to find an answer on my own - any help would be much appreciated!

Edited by mike_b

why would he insist you use no amp? He could take the DI from the pedal, but you can use the amp as normal as a monitor. It makes no sense to me

If you're relying on the monitors, and you tell the soundman that you can't hear yourself, and he doesn't fix it, you're pretty stuffed!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1424187032' post='2693607']
why would he insist you use no amp? He could take the DI from the pedal, but you can use the amp as normal as a monitor. It makes no sense to me

If you're relying on the monitors, and you tell the soundman that you can't hear yourself, and he doesn't fix it, you're pretty stuffed!
[/quote]

I think its to do with changeover times/ stage space saving. It's really annoying though, I don't see the issue with using the sansamp as my stompbox then taking the DI from the head, but then again I'm no sound engineer!

Using the amp as my stage monitor, should I use the output or parallel output on the sansamp in conjuction with the DI?

Normal output mate, Parallel one is unaffected so your amp will not get the benefits of the pedal if you use that.

With regards to not using the amps DI, im a live engineer for a living and i always prefer to use a separate DI or a good quality pedal with a DI out before an amp, its mainly a fail safe, if the amp goes down mid show ive still got the bass in FOH, usually il chuck a mic on the cab to get some of the character of the amp coming through too, unless its a very small room. Asking you not to use your amp at all is a bit odd though, i wouldn't like that.

Use the BDDI as your stompbox into your amp (bass > lead> BDDI jack input then BDDI [b]jack output[/b] > amp head) and then get the sound man to take [b]his[/b] signal from the BDDI[b] XLR out [/b]to his input, wherever that may be.
Worked for me over the years.
You get to use your amp as normal and he gets the DI straight from the BDDI.
He will need the appropriate XLR lead but that's his problem.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='mike_b' timestamp='1424188270' post='2693624']
I think its to do with changeover times/ stage space saving. It's really annoying though, I don't see the issue with using the sansamp as my stompbox then taking the DI from the head, but then again I'm no sound engineer!

Using the amp as my stage monitor, should I use the output or parallel output on the sansamp in conjuction with the DI?
[/quote]

The output should give you the effected tone from the pedal, the parallel, the uneffected tone, pretty sure anyway, it's one or the other ;)

That sound man sounds like an ass by the way, quick turn-around's are one thing, but not giving you what you need through the PA and monitors is unprofessional. You might not be a sound guy, but I bet you'd try your best to give the bands and the individual band members what they want.

Eude

Plug in the amp/Sansampbas as regular, he takes the DI from the Sansamp, you get your amp with enough on-stage volume for you. I can`t see how setting that lot up and then breaking it down would be too time-consuming. I can do mine in less than 5mins, as I`m sure we all can. Agreed he has total control over the bass mix out front, but at least you can hear yourself. I`ve done this myself before, and as long as the monitor mix is good enough I have no issues, but if it`s not, then you`re stuffed. I`d just tell him no, not doing it, amp is coming on stage so both myself and the drummer can work together properly.

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated :) makes perfect sense what's been said about taking the DI from the Sansamp as opposed to the bass head. I think in the future I'll be setting up this way and letting him sort out the rest - it was very difficult last time trying to perform without being able to hear myself!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1424195721' post='2693719']
I hate it enough when lazy sound engineers want me to plug into their behringer ultra di before my amp, sucking the life out of my tone, and then making sure the bass is totally inaudible FOH. This would definitely make me think twice before buying the guy a beer before stage time!
[/quote]

It always seems to be a Behringer Ultra DI :lol:

I've met a number of sound engineers who only use their own DIs because it's what they're familiar with. Still somewhat irritating when they refuse to take a DI from either your pedal board or amp and run you through some plastic £30 piece of crap :rolleyes: