Why become a member? ×

question re inlays

Funky Dunky

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424215827' post='2694068']
Stickers are perfectly OK, but spend a bit of time on preparation and application...
[/quote]
Indeed. They come with instructions and there's a video on their site. But, even so, I still asked my wife to put them on (after I thoroughly cleaned the fretboard) because she does lots of crafty type stuff.

We had to use some artistic license because the stickers are for a 34" 4 string and I have them on a 35" 5 string. The scale length wasn't a real problem, but the width was. The sticker for the 24th fret is a long, black bar. We ended up cutting it up and using some of it to cover the dots on the 12th fret where the sticker didn't reach far enough to cover the dots.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1424216887' post='2694089']
Oh yes! I remember that one! What a gas! Laugh? I thought my pants would never dry!
[/quote]

:D Mine went away for a weekend. Straight away I lost my phone and couldn't find it. She returned and immediately found it in my pants and socks drawer, which was very embarrassing as it was obvious that I hadn't bothered to have a shower or change my pants and socks all weekend. Tchoh! Women, eh?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424217076' post='2694094']

:D Mine went away for a weekend. Straight away I lost my phone and couldn't find it. She returned and immediately found it in my pants and socks drawer, which was very embarrassing as it was obvious that I hadn't bothered to have a shower or change my pants and socks all weekend. Tchoh! Women, eh?
[/quote]
Change them?? I don't bother with clothes when mine goes away.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1424253360' post='2694294']
Wow, that's very impressive. If only they did fretboard binding too.
[/quote]
I bet that if you were to buy a second set of the blocks (assuming you want the binding to be the same colour as the blocks) and took your time with a good pair of scissors, you could do it.

Another shot of the flame inlays on my old bass in all its glory :)

These came from ccinlays.com (creative cuts inlays) and were actually a custom order as the design was available for guitar but not bass so I got them to scale it up for 24 fret /34" scale for me. Addis , the guy who runs the company, is really helpful and if you wanted a long thin length to use for neck binding I should think they could help you out. The also do white and black MOP too.

Durability has been pretty good too as they still looked fine after about 50 gigs.

I had John Diggins at Jaydee Custom guitars to inlay my initials at the 12th fret of bass and guitar a few years back and he did a superb job using abalone and mother of pearl.
I want him to do some more but he is mega busy making basses at the moment so I'm being patient. Not sure how expensive it would be for a whole neck to be done but you could email him and find out.
http://jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk