Why become a member? ×

What Made You Play The Bass?

Billy Apple

Christmas 1987, I was 12. I wasn't interested in learning to play an instrument, I desperately wanted a radio controlled monster truck (Vanessa's Lunchbox), but my dad had decided that he was going to make his four sons learn to play instruments, put them together as a band that he would manage and get himself rich... He had decided that I was going to play the drums. I was a huge Iron Maiden and Motörhead fan, so, in a fit of rebellion, I told my dad that I would learn to play the bass. This was an instrument he hadn't considered and he thought it was a good idea. It was definitely the right choice for me.

The two youngest brothers, the drummer, and a guitarist who was left handed but was being made to play right handed, both gave up quite quickly. The other brother played for a few years and was quite naturally talented, until his mental health and drug and alcohol addictions sapped his interest in anything else. He never played in any bands, except the ones that I put together early on.

Edited by KingBollock

Learn't a few chords about 1961 aged ten, but was never really that good on guitar, and then I started listening to a lot of the early ska/blue beat, Otis Redding and Sam Cooke etc.. plus early Mowtown, and would just listen to the bass lines and think wow! then came the great rock bands with bassists like John Entwhistle, Jack Bruce, Ronnie Lane playing music I really loved, and that was it for me, I borrowed £15 off my older sister and bought a 2nd hand Burns Sonic bass at the age of 15, formed a band with a few mates, but we never ever gigged, I swapped the bass for some fishing tackle, and that was that until about eight years ago aged 55 when I was talked into playing bass for a make-shift band, I've been playing my bass ever since, and trying to make up for wasting about 45 years of my life.. I have played in bands ever since, but I just wish I had carried on from the beginning. :scratch_one-s_head:

I wanted to be in a band when I was 15 because I thought I would get more attention from girls. I also thought that bass would be so easy after a very lame attempt at playing guitar.

Turns out I was wrong on both counts.....

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1424270931' post='2694567']
Having given this one quite a bit of thought over the years - and discussed it with BlueJay, who of course does left-handedness 'properly' - I almost wonder whether it makes more sense: by playing a right-handed bass, my (dominant) left hand is in charge of the fingerboard, where I'd argue most of the complicated stuff takes place!

The catch - and there's always one, isn't there? - is that you might well want your dominant hand fingering/picking the strings, for its greater sensitivity. I suspect learning keys for a couple of years before I started the bass was probably crucial in building up the dexterity in my right hand.
[/quote]

I've said pretty much the same thing in a number of other threads over the years about this subject. I may be not so left handed as a number of others though so maybe it was easier for me. I still do many two-handed things right handed but the single handed 'dexterity jobs' are always using my left. To the extent where I use a knife and fork right handed but a spoon left handed. At cricket I bowled lefty but batted righty. I'm right footed as well.

Edited by KevB

Mine goes back to hearing a sound that I knew I wanted to be able to make, but had no idea what it was, cos at the time I was 6 or 7. Fast forward a good few years to when I could then understand what instruments made what noises, and when punk was around, and image-wise, Sid Vicious took some beating, playing wise it was always Bruce Foxton and JJ Burnell. But where did it start, well with the bass in Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks. How very punk rock of me.

Embarassingly it was Sid Vicious that made me want to play bass and he wasn't even the third best bass player in the Pistols! I thought he looked cool so that was that.....I wish I could say it was Norman Watt Roy or JJ Bunel but no sadly it was Sid, in my defence I was only 14 at the time m'lud

I used to walk down Denmark Street everyday on the way to my office and there was a bass in the window of one of the shops and I just stood and stared. It was a Warwick Thumb in green (!) I just wanted to play it and it took another 10 years before I bought a bass and so the pain and joy began... :)

my best mate took up guitar at 14, i decided to join him thinking two less strings would be easier, best decision i ever made!!! 😃

i doubt i would have stayed interested in guitar this long....

in fact, bass playing, although im nothing special, is one of the things that has been a constant for the last 22 years, i cant see id quit now!

Edited by andytoad

My older brother and me (12 and 15 at the time) discovered the local record library in Swansea in about 1986 and from it borrowed Iron Maiden Live After Death, Kiss Alive II and the Scorpions Worldwide Live over the space of a few weeks, along with some other crap that never made any impact.

It changed both our lives totally.

He'd decided to learn guitar because some of his mates already did, and i didn't want to be outdone so decided I'd go for bass (after quickly realising my first preference of drums was totally impractical)

He really hated me nicking his idea but now nearly 30 years later, we've both done an awful lot of gigs with a great many bands, tho only once or twice ever together, and grown a lot musically along the way (tho I've still got a soft spot for those albums on really loud once in a while).

Playing bass has totally defined my life through the considerable ups and downs since teenage years to now, and given me something to identify with when things have been really bad.

And I've still never got round to learning the drums....

Edited by bassbiscuits