Why become a member? ×

Aria Diamond Repair and Restoration - tips??

Alexthemack

Hi bassers,

Just wanted to glean some opinions on this. I have an Aria Diamond bass (see pics), which was quite cheap when I got it a while ago. I don't know much about it but I think it's from the 70's. It's a great sounding hollowbody bass, though I knew when I got it it's definitely a fixer-upper. Having said that, it's mostly been sitting in my bedroom doing not much for the past year, and recently after getting cracklier and cracklier, it's given out completely and makes no sound.

So, I imagine there's a simple (in principle) fix for the electrics. It's just, being rather new to the world of bass repair and restoration, I wondered if anyone can give me any pointers on how they might do it, and for further restoration, which pickups they might swap onto it, how you get into it (I don't even know if you can!), etc, etc.

Or whether it's worth the effort, ultimately!

Any thoughts or wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Alex

If it's been getting cracklier till it expired then it sounds as if it might be the pots needing replaced (or lubed - or, as above, the jack socket) . Not a difficult thing to do for someone with experience in hollow bodies. They are, however, much trickier to work on than solids as you have to do everything through the 'F' holes. There's loads of little tricks to stop everything being lost & tying off each pot to bring it back through the correct holes etc.

If you intend getting into self-repairs, get a copy of 'Guitar Player Repair Guide - How to Set Up, Maintain and Repair Electrics and Acoustics' by Dan Erlewine, ISBN 0-87930-291-7 published by Backbeat Books.

Everything *anyone* needs to know is in there.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

Cool bass - reminds me of this vid: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ZZJxof1R8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ZZJxof1R8[/url]

Before you replace anything - clean the electronics or have them cleaned. Your readings can be misleading with dirt in the way, and given that it gradually died it's a very likely candidate for the cause of yer issues.

Sweet! Thanks for the tips, guys. I have the will and I have the contact cleaner! Keeping the pots tied off etc sounds like invaluable advice. I'd have probably steamed in without thinking and then had all the bits rattling around in there when I dropped them.

I think I can be pretty certain it's the jack output but I'll clean it all.

That book looks great, G.

Cheers!