Why become a member? ×

Small bass synth.....

martthebass

Look for an Akai SG01V vintage synth module - you can get them on eBay ranging between £55-£100 and a small midi controller keyboard - I got an Evolution battery operated 2 octave keyboard with full size keys and an Akai module for less than £100 the pair - the synth has some great Minimoog and other vintage bass synth sounds. This set up has served me well for live work and is nice and light. I've used it live as it's much more stable than my vintage analogue synths.

• 4 months later...

new to keys, so I took a bit of a punt. Figured it could work as drum machine and for synth effects, but it of course does so much more.

Will give it a go in a few weeks when not feeling so rough.

Any tips or resources for getting to grips with it?

If it's too much to comprehend it will be coming to a marketplace near you soon! :-D

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1438015041' post='2830878']
new to keys, so I took a bit of a punt. Figured it could work as drum machine and for synth effects, but it of course does so much more.

Any tips or resources for getting to grips with it?
[/quote]

There is a lot to it. It is a very good drum machine, but more performance or pattern than song, there is no way of stringing patterns together at the moment, maybe they will update that.

it has the 4 channels (2 digital, 1 analogue and 1 drum), which you can't manually play at the same time, but you can record and sequence them, and obviously play them through midi. The analog channel only has one oscilator but even so you can get really decent sound out of it.
There are a lot of really good youtube videos on how to use it, so worth doing a search on those, and when you find out something you don't know, then read the manual on it, its not very obvious starting with the manual.

And there is more to it than just the knobs on the panel, the menus contain a lot of options

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1424468362' post='2696787']
The moogs are a long way north of 200, even second hand, although the minitaur is impressive.
[/quote]I recently bought a Minitaur for £300, so not entirely out of reach...