Why become a member? ×

Bad band, great bass player

Nicko

I foolishly started this thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/255914-noel-on-kaiser-chiefs/page__st__30"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/255914-noel-on-kaiser-chiefs/page__st__30[/url] which seems to have become something I didn't intend

What I should have asked is are there any bands you really can't get on with but wish you could because the bass lines are awesome. So its basically a bass player love in not a slag off the band thread!

I started the other thread with Kaiser Cheifs another example would be Maroon 5.

I struggle with most popular music in this regard and it was what got me into Jazz etc. Most pop/rock/funk etc has lines that provide challenges of one kind or another. Time spent with Jamerson, Rainey and a million other bassists all help to improve your playing and should be encouraged. Nevertheless, you are left with wonderful performances of great bass lines but, over the top of it all, comes 'My Girl', 'Dock Of The Bay', 'Son Of A Preacher Man' etc, mnost of which I find unlistenable. Even the greats like Steve Wonder I just can't listen to as it is all predictable and, for me, unengaging and can't listen to for very long. So, in terms of the OP, my answer is 'most of them' :lol:

I see lots of mismatched bands..who only have one thing going for them.
Typically the gtr is great but the vocals aren't upto it... or..??
I think equal care should be taken to keep the level consistant for all members
and if the level is a good local level, you pretty much will have one of the best local bands
straight out of the box..
So, you try and do that in what ever talent pool you swim in..?? and this is why I don't let gtrs
run a band... :lol: :lol:

Nathan East in Fourplay.

I don't much like posh lift music or bands made up of people who went to Berklee. They would go into my Room 101, for sure.

These are not "bad" bands they just make music that I don't like much, but the bass players in these bands are some of the best in the world; NE, Jimmey Haslip in the Yellowjackets and Neil Stubenhaus in whatever bands he's in and all the others.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1424424085' post='2696092']
+1 for The Smiths though really I don't tend to single out individuals much as a punter, its the whole package for me as a unit that has to 'do it' for me to keep interested.
[/quote]

I liketh the Smiths....sorry wrong thread. Some seriously good bass in their songs. This charming man is awesome!

I offer this one cautiously: REM.

I don't know...is it just my friends, or is there a more general perception that there's something fundamentally "uncool" about Stipe & co? I would readily criticise the fact that a lot of their more famous singles all sound too similar to each other - on the other hand, I've just put on [i]Automatic for the People [/i]for the first time in donkey's years, and I have to admit that it's not a bad album on the whole. I couldn't even tell you the bassist's name, but he's doing a pretty good job on a lot of these tracks.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1424435045' post='2696251']
I offer this one cautiously: REM.

I don't know...is it just my friends, or is there a more general perception that there's something fundamentally "uncool" about Stipe & co? I would readily criticise the fact that a lot of their more famous singles all sound too similar to each other - on the other hand, I've just put on [i]Automatic for the People [/i]for the first time in donkey's years, and I have to admit that it's not a bad album on the whole. I couldn't even tell you the bassist's name, but he's doing a pretty good job on a lot of these tracks.
[/quote]
Mike Mills is the bassist and I really liked his playing style - much more melodic than the material would suggest.

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1424436507' post='2696273']
Mike Mills is the bassist and I really liked his playing style - much more melodic than the material would suggest.
[/quote]

...and he's not too shabby at the old warblin' either.

If I remember correctly, Mills is the only one in the band who had any sort of musical tuition...I think it tells :)

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1424436507' post='2696273']
[/quote]
He also plays the keyboards quite well too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKDzQid-FqM

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1424420713' post='2696054']
I foolishly started this thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/255914-noel-on-kaiser-chiefs/page__st__30"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/255914-noel-on-kaiser-chiefs/page__st__30[/url] which seems to have become something I didn't intend

What I should have asked is are there any bands you really can't get on with but wish you could because the bass lines are awesome. So its basically a bass player love in not a slag off the band thread!

I started the other thread with Kaiser Cheifs another example would be Maroon 5.
[/quote]

Easy one... Haim!