Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender Precision American Special - fretless conversion

franzbassist

Some of you may recall that I bought a 2012 American Special a while back that I absolutely love. Two piece alder body, maple capped board, 8.5lbs, it's just the most wonderful bass.

Anyway, I was browsing Gumtree a while back and spotted another one for a very good price, so I decided to buy it for converting to fretless. The basses have serial numbers just eight numbers apart!

I sent the neck away to the guys at Brook Guitars down in Devon (they made me an acoustic a few years back and their work is just superb, so I was confident they would do it right) and in less than a week they did the most amazing job of converting the neck to an unlined fretless ebony board. They even managed to keep the original nut.

It plays beautifully, and the unlined board is a dream - it's quite thick (7mm deep at the centre, 5mm at the sides), so the sustain is amazing. I've added a black scratchplate, tugbar, and upgraded to Hisphot tuners. Very happy camper.

Edited by walbassist
  • Like 1

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1424626461' post='2698456']

£200 + VAT
[/quote]That's pretty impressive. I had a de-fret done many years ago that cost £110 inc strings and that was just fret removal and slot filing (which I thought was pretty reasonable and was very happy with), never mind a whole new board and ebony to boot!

A cracking pair you have there; enjoy.