Why become a member? ×

Practice and The Metronome

Bill

Hi Basschat,

Just wanted to share and discuss metronome opinions, I've recently got back in to using this handy tool for ironing out creases in stuff that I'm working on making more smooth sounding and general speed upping! And the metronome has really been keeping me honest and pushing me closer to my goals:

I filmed a practice session yesterday and decided to upload this short clip to YouTube, with myself playing a Minor and Major arpeggio over a 170bpm click to track my progress with using the metronome, in hope that it may inspire people that aren't using a metronome to maybe give it a shot for their progress, and also would like to hear some opinions on people who decide against using it for whatever reasons they have,

http://youtu.be/p5MyYonB7QI

Bill.

I don't see how this helps with arpeggios (re the clip) as it is just a speed related technique. I do use a metronome for sorting complex phrases over a couple of bars where i need to know if i am giving a tied note its full value or if i am rushing a dotted quaver in a sea of other notes and losing time across the bar and missing the one of the next bar. So handy to play along with while reading just to get you locked in. That how and when I use mine.

The tempo advance app on my phone is my new religion. It really helps, especially if you start muting beats. However, not everyone I play with works with a metronome and I do get frustrated when I feel like I'm dragging the band forwards or holding them back when they rush. The daft thing is you really don't need to practice with the metronome that much before you develop the knack of telling the difference +\- a few bpm. I've been doing a show all week and the MD was a great vocal coach but not so hot on rhythm. We finally got her to slow down the finale to the correct speed and the audience started clapping along all of a sudden. Bpm is the law!

Another great use I've found for the metronome in practice is having it set to a slow speed such as 60bpm.. And hear the click on the 2 & 4.. Gives it a great pulse for rhythm practice or playing walking lines along with it..

forget to mention this is the website i've been using for 12 years as an online metronome:

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

anyone use anything different? or recommend any cool apps for your smartphone that are versatile??

Tempo advance. A little fiddily at times but you can program set lists and share them, do tempo changes and time signature changes, and do mind blowing sub divisions with ease. I like the feature where you can change the sound or mute certain beats, so if you have a piece in five for example 3+2 beat 4 can have a separate accent. Not rocket science but really useful.

"It's dull and I'm lazy" are the only reasons not to do this from time to time. That's me guilty as charged :)

Seriously I use a drum machine which I find much more engaging to play with. The Zoom B1ON takes care of that with some good basic patterns at a knock down price. I probably ought to use it more often but a decent session even once a month tightens everything up.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1424809806' post='2700766']
Tempo advance. A little fiddily at times but you can program set lists and share them, do tempo changes and time signature changes, and do mind blowing sub divisions with ease. I like the feature where you can change the sound or mute certain beats, so if you have a piece in five for example 3+2 beat 4 can have a separate accent. Not rocket science but really useful.
[/quote]

This seems ideal for getting the drummer into gear! He seems to be struggling with 9/8...can't say I don't struggle sometimes either to be honest.

I don't like metronomes. I don't even like drummers or click tracks. Oddly, they make my timing worse. I know that sounds like I think I have great time when in reality, it's crap, and that my lack of ability to keep time with time-keeping things is just evidence of that, but no.

I genuinely keep better time on my own. I march to the beat of my own drum, quite literally. It's not perfect, but it's better than it would be with a metronome.

I don't understand it either.

But I also don't do anything at 170bpm.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1425093890' post='2703914']
I don't like metronomes. I don't even like drummers or click tracks. Oddly, they make my timing worse. I know that sounds like I think I have great time when in reality, it's crap, and that my lack of ability to keep time with time-keeping things is just evidence of that, but no.

I genuinely keep better time on my own. I march to the beat of my own drum, quite literally. It's not perfect, but it's better than it would be with a metronome.

I don't understand it either.

But I also don't do anything at 170bpm.
[/quote]

I knew after all these years my timing was not as good or as natural as I thought.

When I started making money playing bass guitar I took everything a lot more seriously and timing is one of the things I'm working on now. The metronome will be one of the tools I use to get a better handle on my timing.

I can't be sure what type of opportunities will come my way, whatever they are, I want to be prepared for them.

Blue

Edited by blue

bloody metronomes. . its like a boring office job when you go and play/practice the bass.! playing or practicing the bass should be and always should be a musical experience, with sounds to inspire you. great if you want to play endless scales and muscle memory, but why. throw it in the bin. there are so many more avenues to practice timing than that.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1425171666' post='2704774']
bloody metronomes. . its like a boring office job when you go and play/practice the bass.! playing or practicing the bass should be and always should be a musical experience, with sounds to inspire you. great if you want to play endless scales and muscle memory, but why. throw it in the bin. there are so many more avenues to practice timing than that.
[/quote]

I'm sure there are more avenues to improve timing. For me the metronome is one of the better avenues.

For me practicing with a metronome, band rehearsals, gigging or recording are always a positive musical experiences.

I guess I'm lucky, I can't think of one aspect of my musical activity that I could equate to a boring office job

Blue

Edited by blue

I really enjoy the metronome, more so when it's on a 2 & 4 pulse.. Has helped me improve my playing loads in the last few years, but i do understand it may not suit everyone.. I can still make music from playing with a click.. It's just the way you approach it!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1425171666' post='2704774']
[/quote]

A little severe, if you dont mind my saying. :) However YMMV...etc

My own view on metronomes is that they are good for "re calibrating" your sense of time every now and then. They dont have to be used through out every practice session.

A lot of people [i]think[/i] their timing is good, but often get a wake up call if/when they spend a little time practicing with a 'nome.

Edited by Coilte

I always thought my band's timing was perfect, and I suppose in a way it was "perfect" but would speed up and slow down slightly for different sections of different songs. Not necessarily a bad thing! But playing to a click made us realise where we were changing tempo, and meant we at least had a choice as to whether to go with the natural feel of it, or whether to be super rigid

I first used a metronome when learning melodeon. The number of times I'd stop mid tune to wind up the the metronome (yes the good old Wittner Pyramid) because "it was slowing down"! I almost took it back to the shop to complain!

The thing with a metronome (IMHO) is that it's a tool that can be used to address specific problems, or learn certain techniques. Then you can cast it aside when it comes to a performance or band rehearsal, and "go with the flow" .... or not, but at least you will be doing it as a conscious or sub-conscious decision, rather than because you "can't play in time".

Edited by Count Bassy

• 2 weeks later...

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've been messing around with this metronome idea this afternoon: setting the click to a comfortable tempo where you can hear it on the 3! Gives it a great downbeat vibe and perfect for groove practice. [/font][/color]