Why become a member? ×

February Composition Challenge - VOTING!

Skol303

The idea that the composition is a soundtrack for the image is only one way of looking at it. It could be a reflection of the emotion that it generates in you or a memory it invokes, for example. People of different ages will experience things differently:did the train take you on holiday or did it take your parents to a Nazi death camp and so on. The potential for variety is one of the wonderful things about the challenge.

Here's the criteria for the composition...

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive.[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] ...[/font][/color]
[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] ...[/font][/color]
[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Here's the criteria for voting ...[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=5]Please listen to each track and [/size][/font][/color][color=#800000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=5][b]vote for your top [u]THREE[/u] favourites:[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I rather think that enough scope for interpretation lies there for each to vote as they think best, taking into account the title of Composition Challenge. It's necessarily a personal thing, as there is no absolute way of knowing just what the image inspired in the compositor. One's 'favourite' could be because the bass line 'speaks', because it's well produced, there's a 'clever' twist to what is seen, a combination of these factors and much, much more. I might well imagine a correlation, someone else miss it completely (and it may not be what I'd imagines, anyway...). [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]That's the trouble, though, with freedom; one can do what one likes with it. As was once said by some Mexican bandit...[/font][/color]

"We don't need no stinkin' rules..!"

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1424969728' post='2702478']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As was once said by some Mexican bandit...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Other bandits are available. In fact, many opine that Squier bandits are just as good if not better.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1424969979' post='2702484']
Other bandits are available. In fact, many opine that Squier bandits are just as good if not better.
[/quote]

Ah, but are they not also Mexican..? Hmm ([i]rubs chin[/i]...)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424979240' post='2702602']
Didn't think I'd ever see anyone post [i]that [/i]comment on this forum. :mellow:
[/quote]

Simply for 'comic effect'. If your pseudo had been 'Blatant' it would have had the same result. :mellow:

(No, I'm not suggesting that you change your pseudo, nor that there's a relation between your pseudo and your character. It's simply for joshing. Leg pulling. You know; light banter, poking innocent fun..? I don't [i]really [/i]want to give the impression that you're too discreet on the forum, nor the opposite. It's only a throw-away attempt at gentle humour, OK..? No..? Oh,well; I give up... :dash1: )

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1424982165' post='2702660']
It's simply for joshing. Leg pulling. You know; light banter, poking innocent fun..? I don't [i]really [/i]want to give the impression that you're too discreet on the forum, nor the opposite. It's only a throw-away attempt at gentle humour, OK..?
[/quote]

Relax, Doug - it's me. This [ :mellow:] is my shorthand for this [ :D :P ;)]. And yes, It's OK! :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424985685' post='2702742']
Relax, Doug - it's me. This [ :mellow:] is my shorthand for this [ :D :P ;)]. And yes, It's OK! :mellow:
[/quote]

Oh, I see. I'm sorry. :blush: I wouldn't want to unwittingly cause offence, and I could imagine easily enough that some could take amiss certain of my utterings. Thanks for clearing the air and easing my mind; I have enough trouble getting to sleep (except when watching a TV film...) without turning over and over the thought of having been responsible for creating a rift between a fellow forum User. I think I'm just about beginning to get the hang of this 'ere 'smiley' malarkey, too, with my own adoption of the ' :mellow: ' face to indicate (for those 'in the know'...) a notion of 'deadpan', or veiled sarcasm. It can, apparently, be difficult to spot this in some circumstances, and so I find it best to offer some clue, however cryptic, so as to reduce the chances of being misunderstood.
There, I'm glad that that's sorted. I feel much better, relieved, refreshed, even. Time for a cup of tea. :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424986906' post='2702759']
No apology necessary! You'd really have to be going some to offend me, Dad. :D
[/quote]

Now is that a challenge..? It's not my usual style to go about trying to cause offence, but as a question of technical exercise, I suppose I could come up with something, at a stretch. How should one start..? I'd reject comments on one's physique; firstly I haven't seen yours, and secondly, the old adage about pots, kettles and blackness come to mind. Similarly, trading comments on family descent seems a bit too evident. For all I know, we may have common relatives, so I'd be shooting myself in the foot. Can't have that (it hurts, I'm told...). How about a few asides concerning choice of instrument..? 'You... you... you... [i]Fender player[/i]..!" There; with enough vehemence, I'm sure some would cringe at such language; I know [i]I[/i] certainly would.
Over to you; just let me know how best to go about this and I'll give it a shot. No guarantee of a result, though; I'm not good at offending folks. Lack of practise, maybe..? :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1424987878' post='2702775']
You... you... you... [i]Fender player[/i]..!
[/quote]

Well that'll probably do it... even though I don't have a Fender at the moment. :mellow:
Mind you, that's going to change soon, so I'll let you know. :D

And anyway I'm digressing horribly in the voting thread - sorry folks! :blush:

Edited by discreet