Why become a member? ×

Best Stevie Wonder Songs to play live?

chaypup

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1424851678' post='2701056']
Can't believe For Once In My Life hasn't had more suggestions!? For me it's Stevie's best song and probably Jamerson's best bass line IMOOC.

But seriously you can't drop superstition, it's a killer track! Especially if he drop the guitar from the riff and have a keys player who has an octave wheel! I'm actually dead interested to here this gig so when it's all sorted message me and I'll come along! I LOVE Stevie and his music!
[/quote]

For once in my life is just a cover of a Barbara McNair song. :)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1424835032' post='2701004']
..........most of the performances and versions of Stevie's work very weak. And they were all major stars.
Blue
[/quote]

Much as I love SW's early work, to these ears every cover that I've heard sounds 'cruise ship' - unless its the RHCP version of Higher ground, which I consider to be toss.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424887582' post='2701608']
This thread has cursed me! We've found a new singer, she is brilliant! She has added Master Blaster to the set and I've got a week to nail it, lol
[/quote]

It's not too bad - I prefer to start further up the neck if that helps at all - congrats on the singer!

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1424888773' post='2701623']
Much as I love SW's early work, to these ears every cover that I've heard sounds 'cruise ship' - unless its the RHCP version of Higher ground, which I consider to be toss.
[/quote]
Just a bit! Superstition, as mentioned before... I've grown to hate that song because loads of bands have sucked all the groove out of it.

I hate playing it myself.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1424897784' post='2701759']
Just a bit! Superstition, as mentioned before... I've grown to hate that song because loads of bands have sucked all the groove out of it.

[/quote]
+1
[size=1]and there isn't that much groove to begin with (compared to most of his oeuvre)[/size]

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1424835032' post='2701004']
I would have to see the caliber of the band before I could make a suggestion.

Can't wait to see it. You guys must be very good. I don't know any bands at the local level that have the ability to pull off those songs. Matter of fact I watched a Stevie tribute on TV last week and found most of the performances and versions of Stevie's work very weak. And they were all major stars.

Blue
[/quote]

If you thought they were bad it's probably best not to watch us then!

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1424897761' post='2701758']

It's not too bad - I prefer to start further up the neck if that helps at all - congrats on the singer!
[/quote]

Yes thanks, I sort of learnt it a bit moving around a LOT but now I've moved it all into the 5 strings across the board its getting easier, the run down is still tricky but I have got it something like....ish.

The other stuff she has suggested aint exactly all right now either, Michael Jackson stuff, Jamiroquai etc I'm meant to be practicing double bass but that will have to wait for now!

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1424628938' post='2698498']
[i]I wish[/i]. SUCH a good groove! If that doesn't fill the floor then you're in a room full of people who are dead inside. You should probably run away as soon as you can.
[/quote]

This. Best time I've ever had on stage, you have to keep moving though - if you drop a bollock the band won't thank you for it; the bass line is the song.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1424897784' post='2701759']

[/quote]

Amen brother. - Beware of imitations

[url="http://youtu.be/_ul7X5js1vE"]http://youtu.be/_ul7X5js1vE[/url]

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1424911054' post='2701961']
I'm learning 26 tracks for a Stevie Wonder set Initially it was on guitar but I'm going to have to stand in on bass too so thats a lot of learning to do.
[/quote]
Are you going to tune down to Eb the way Nate Watts does?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424904631' post='2701863']
The other stuff she has suggested aint exactly all right now either, Michael Jackson stuff, Jamiroquai etc [/quote]

Virtual Insanity is a great one to cover. Tricky bassline, but everything is is pretty tricky too. So when it does eventually comes together, sounds great!

You'd better have this on your list by the way. Try to get Diz in for the trumpet solo as well. What a fantastic bass tone as well from Nate - check the break at 2m08s, again at 3m29s. The soaring line at 1m51s with Stevie's lyrics are beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6f6BOKXXxg

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1424634468' post='2698614']
Lots to go at... my fave Stevie song is still 'I wish' even though most bands muder it. We've just added 'As if you read my mind' to our set....

[/quote]

Regretting including As if You Read My Mind now! How the hell do you play that chorus? I have the chords but it's just one massive run!!