Why become a member? ×

musicman jack problem

Kev

theres something wrong with the instrument jack on my musicman
:)

sometimes when i plug in sound jus doesnt come out, either jus silence or a buzzing noise. it usually worked again if i jiggledd the cable round a bit, but its gettin worse and more frequent.

iv tried 6 different cables, and it does it with all of them, so iv dertermined its a problem with the guitar.

i opened it up and had a look, but i know nothing at all about electronics, all i could check is whether the wires were all soldered securly and everythin looked okay, which it did

any ideea what the problem is? i have no guitat luthiars near me at the moment

You may find that the output jack socket is starting to fail. I've had a couple of failures on different (admittedly cheap) guitars specifically the open style of jack (looks like two bits of bent metal). Replacement parts are cheap so it might be worth trying this as a first step.
Although if you happen to have an active bass - have you checked the battery?
Checked it with different amps too?

I'm sure you'll find the problem.

Cheers
TV

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='27406' date='Jul 5 2007, 01:00 PM']alternatively you might want to check that the output jack isn't shorting against the cavity shielding - those control routings are far from generous.[/quote]

but that wouldnt jus start happening for no reason would it?

battery has been changed, no difference

i cnt try it through different amps, but i doubt that is the issue

how much would this cost to fix? as i say i have minimal guitar knowledge, so i couldnt do it myself, anyone fix it for me? or anyone know of any good honest guitar repair places in the widnes area? (near liverpool, warrington)

You probably need something like this...

[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=1252&doy=5m7"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=...252&doy=5m7[/url]

and someone with a soldering iron and a steady hand. I'd like to help but I'm more than a few miles up the road!!

It could be as simple as the contacts in the jack have become dirty or oxidised.

Before replacing the socket it could be worth cleaning the contacts inside the socket using a cotton bud moistened with isopropyl alcohol (sometimes tape head or CD cleaner).

Planet Waves cables have expanding collars help keep the plug snug in the socket. Before I replaced the jack on my '71 musicmaster it kept cutting out if I used any cable other than a planet waves. Do you know anyone who has a planet waves cable you could try?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='27450' date='Jul 5 2007, 02:10 PM']It could be as simple as the contacts in the jack have become dirty or oxidised.

Before replacing the socket it could be worth cleaning the contacts inside the socket using a cotton bud moistened with isopropyl alcohol (sometimes tape head or CD cleaner).

Planet Waves cables have expanding collars help keep the plug snug in the socket. Before I replaced the jack on my '71 musicmaster it kept cutting out if I used any cable other than a planet waves. Do you know anyone who has a planet waves cable you could try?[/quote]

lol, i use planet waves cables as my main instrument to pedal board / board to jack

Is a straight or angled jack?

I'm borrowing a friends Stingray V and when I use an angled jack on it, it cuts out and buzzes intermittently. I guess that due to metal distress, there's more movement than there should be in the metal contacts. The angled jack on the side of the body probably pulls the contacts to one side.

You don't need a guitar repairer, just a replacement stereo jack and someone who's proficient with a soldering iron. Why not ask in Maplins if they know anyone who'd be up for soldering the new one in for a tenner?

It isn't a major serious issue, honestly. I'm an absolute wuss with a soldering iron and I've managed it (though I'd as soon ask a certain mate of mine who happens to be a DIY/soldering demon). As to why it should suddenly happen... it just does! I've had to replace one or two sockets on my Warwick basses over the years and fit new 'switchcraft' ones. Which is a point, don't be tempted to fit the cheapest no name replacement; a quality replacement need not cost more than £10 and £10 to fit it. Thomann have a selection for £6/£7 + delivery [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sw=jack+socket&oa=pra"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?s...cket&oa=pra[/url]

[quote name='BassManKev' post='27864' date='Jul 6 2007, 12:17 PM']the thing is, the jack on my musicman doesnt look like any of the ones on thomann or maplins[/quote]

doesn't really matter - you simply need a stereo jack that has roughly the same dimensions as the one on your bass now. It screws on to the scratchplate or control plate, so swapping it will be easy enough.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='27926' date='Jul 6 2007, 02:48 PM']my current one is soldered onto the circuit board by the 3 metal connectors that you cen see in the pic above[/quote]
Ahhhh....

That [i]may[/i] be the source of the problem. If the jack socket locking ring is/was slightly loose that would put stress on the solder connections on the circuit board. Best case scenario is that the solder joint on one pin has/is failing causing intermittent contact - resoldering the pins in situ should sort it out. Worst case... one of the etched copper tracks on the board has a hairline fracture & is making/breaking as the lot flexes - not irrepairable but trickier than the Best Case.

Try resoldering the connections. I had a Zoom FX unit that had a rather intermittent display, resoldering all the pins seems to have sorted it.

Pete.

• 4 months later...

i still havnt sorted this, iv just put up with it

anyone have any idea where to buy a replacement jack which looks like the one i posted above? maplins dont, thomann dont

i really need to get it sorted, and because the jack is actually soldered to the board, it looks like its the only jjack that will fit

i need to ge this fixed