Why become a member? ×

Purple Chili 112Ts

CamdenRob

I currently have a pair of Purple Chili 112s with the tweeter but have been thinking recently about swapping them out for a pair of berg CN112s as I was very impressed with the clarity at volume when I tried them out and thought they would be a good match for my Glockenklang, not that there is anything wrong with the PCs, just one of those grass is always greener things...

However played a gig on saturday with no PA support and the PCs sounded huge. Deep room filling bass whilst still being tight and punchy. Proper seperation of notes without losing any power at the bottom end.

They may not be the smallest 112s out there (the cabinets are actually pretty big) or the lightest (14kg) but I'm prepared to put up with the flaws for the sound and volume they managed on Saturday night... I'll be keeping them for the foreseable future.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1424679214' post='2698961']
I currently have a pair of Purple Chili 112s with the tweeter but have been thinking recently about swapping them out for a pair of berg CN112s as I was very impressed with the clarity at volume when I tried them out and thought they would be a good match for my Glockenklang, not that there is anything wrong with the PCs, just one of those grass is always greener things...

However played a gig on saturday with no PA support and the PCs sounded huge. Deep room filling bass whilst still being tight and punchy. Proper seperation of notes without losing any power at the bottom end.

They may not be the smallest 112s out there (the cabinets are actually pretty big) or the lightest (14kg) but I'm prepared to put up with the flaws for the sound and volume they managed on Saturday night... I'll be keeping them for the foreseable future.
[/quote]

I had to pleasure of playing through just one Sk8's old 1x12, without a tweeter, at a Moffat Bass Bash a few years ago and was hugely impressed.
We were set up in an empty theatre, probably seats a little under 100, and with an Ibanez Promethean head it completely filled to room!
The only reason you might want to change would be for new aesthetics...

Is that's helping?... Sorry ;)

Mike Walsh does make amazing cabs though, and they look very cool too.

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1424684702' post='2699024']
I had to pleasure of playing through just one Sk8's old 1x12, without a tweeter, at a Moffat Bass Bash a few years ago and was hugely impressed.
We were set up in an empty theatre, probably seats a little under 100, and with an Ibanez Promethean head it completely filled to room!
The only reason you might want to change would be for new aesthetics...

Is that's helping?... Sorry ;)

Mike Walsh does make amazing cabs though, and they look very cool too.

Eude
[/quote]

I saw the new designs on his website... That definitely addresses the issue with the size of the enclosure and presumably the weight is a little less as well, although I'm not sure where a tweeter would go in that new 112?

Its funny, I know almost nothing about cabs and keep reading here about things like Xmax etc and how important it is... If you look at the raw specs it would seem like these should come up short against the competition but my ears keep telling me different... It sounds to me like whatever calculations Mike has done with regards to matching the driver to this enclosure has turned out pretty well :)

14kgs isn't bad for a 112 which goes low.
The 'best' reference for a low 112 I've heard is a GS112x2 which sound huge
but I sold mine on as I just wanted a bit more clarity higher up...and they were
heavier, for sure..

I'd tend to pair up a 12's and that should extend the lower end so you could afford to
go for a higher mid bias..?

I think the revised vertical design is about 10kg so considerably lighter, but in the grand scheme of things, 14kg isn't really that bad from something than can hold its own.
Yup, not sure where the tweeter would go in that design, but I'm certain it's an option. I know that Mike has been using some new "super" driver that has a lot more high end available, so a tweeter might not even be necessary for most of us.

Eude

• 5 months later...

Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one:

Is anyone else using the Purple Chili 112's?

I'm looking to upgrade my rig to 2x112 cabs (well I'll buy one then wait a few months & buy the other) and partly prompted by CamdenRob's for sale thread Purple Chili have made it on to the list.

At the moment it's a three-way between the PC 112's, the TKS S112's and the Barefaced Super Compact's - I can get to both Twyford & Brighton quite easily for trials but it's a 100 mile drive to the other side of London for PC so I'd be really interested to hear what current users think. I do generally prefer the looks of the PC and the fact he uses recessed solid handles over those external strappy ones but it's a lot of money to be spending blind (or deaf I guess) having never heard one!

Any help would be appreciated...

I already miss mine and they haven't even been picked up yet...

I only moved them on because I need the portability of a 210, I always travel to gigs on public transport and they were just too big to manage... They we're quite large cabs for a 112 20"x20"x16" but they sounded great and excelled at volume. Deep and bassy without being boomy or wooly.

Mine were delivered about six weeks after I ordered them and at the time there were a little cheaper than the other quality 112s available. The new design looks smaller and lighter but I hope it retains the same sound as the older bigger cabinets.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1438335235' post='2833611']
Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one:

Is anyone else using the Purple Chili 112's?

I'm looking to upgrade my rig to 2x112 cabs (well I'll buy one then wait a few months & buy the other) and partly prompted by CamdenRob's for sale thread Purple Chili have made it on to the list.

At the moment it's a three-way between the PC 112's, the TKS S112's and the Barefaced Super Compact's - I can get to both Twyford & Brighton quite easily for trials but it's a 100 mile drive to the other side of London for PC so I'd be really interested to hear what current users think. I do generally prefer the looks of the PC and the fact he uses recessed solid handles over those external strappy ones but it's a lot of money to be spending blind (or deaf I guess) having never heard one!

Any help would be appreciated...
[/quote]

If you are down South Wales, you are welcome to try out my S112s.
No obligation of course.
You have to bring the biscuits though ;)

One of the reasons I'm after 2x112's is that I get to half of my gigs (in smallish London venues) via public transport so would just take one, the other half I'm able to take the car so would use two (it's a louder band too). The new PC's look to be of a similar size/weight to the barefaced & TKS options so I guess they should all be equally transportable - I understand what you mean about the old PC's they were just a bit bigger (which is why I held off messaging you about yours).

Funkshui - Thanks for the offer but I'm only 20 minutes away from Bass Gear so I'll probably just go there, yours do look very cool with that vinyl though!