Why become a member? ×

New bass amp/speaker concept

[color=#141414]Hey,[/color]

[color=#141414]Im currently designing a concept valve amp/bass speaker for a uni project to take to market. its in early stages of development but will be constructed of plexi glass and lit with colour strips. Im looking for market feedback regarding interest in the product.[/color]

[color=#141414]The spec shows the sizes and dimensions, the angle on the face to project the sound and some possible options. [/color]

[color=#141414]The speakers selected were Eminence, Fane, Celestion.[/color]

[color=#141414]The unit will come with wheels and an extention to pull it (making it portable).[/color]

[color=#141414]Costing of the products would be - 12" setup, around £600. 15" setup, around £700. 4 x 10" setup, around £1000.[/color]

[color=#141414]I also attached a picture to show an example of how the design should look.[/color]

[color=#141414]Hope to incorporate a silent recording feature aswell.[/color]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"][attachment=184764:Sppec.jpg][attachment=184765:GuitarShow_18_zps02337708.jpg][/color][/size][/font]

I like the concept, the lights and plexi glass is a fun look and I think there is a market that would jump on it. My comments are:
[list]
[*]From my knowledge Plexi is pretty heavy, how does it compare to say birch ply that comapnies like EBS use. Weight is a key factor for a lot of people
[*]Whilst I personally like the lights and think it looks brilliant, I think you will exlude a lot of players and narrow your market. I would never get away with using one in my bands, I play in Soul/Funk bands and it just wouldnt look 'right' for the band.
[*]Would you consider offering something like a smokey grey semi transparent plexi which would satisfy some of us more conservative folk?
[*]The angles speaker idea is nice, I think it would work well. Will they all be angled or will you offer a 12" flat front and then one angled so you could stack them and have one facing forward and one angled on top which would be closer to ear height?
[/list]
Good luck, as I said its nice concept.

You could look at an option to dim the lights? My trace (newer one) had a knob to control the brightness of the mood lights. I know there was an above suggestion to change the plexi colour, I'd be inclined to say go all or nothing with the idea.

Its good to challenge peoples perceptions of what an amp should look like, its what keeps product interesting. The reality is this isn't going to be aimed at the masses, but the chances are if musicians will buy transparent guitars, drum kits and pianos; this has a chance of developing into something cool.

I'd also echo others sentiments of keeping the range tight, too much choice is often as big of a problem as not enough.

Looks fantastic.
Having lifted a Dan Armstrong back in the day, plexi cab is not for me.
For bands in the public eye, great niche market though, would look fabulous on telly.

Is it necessary for 4 differing amp wattages though?
Perhaps a 200 and 500 would cover most folk and have a slight impact on the company buying costs.

Good luck, though, they do look great.

Do you mean that you're intending to make the speaker cab from perspex? I'm not sure how good an idea that is, since it would have to be thick and heavy to achieve the necessary stiffness, and speaker cabs should really be lined with wadding or acoustic foam which would spoil the visual impact of using a clear material. It does seem rather like design for design's sake.
I'd be surprised if you can get a valve amp and cabinet to market at that price too (especially as a small startup company) unless it's a small single-ended design of limited utility to bassists. Or have I misunderstood you and the £600 is for the cab alone? It might be worth checking out the pricing structure of small UK amp builders like Flynn or Matamp to figure out what is feasible. A 200 watt valve amp is inevitably a large and expensive thing, and 500 watt valve amps don't really exist in the market.
This is not intended to be overly negative, I'm just questioning whether your targets are realistic.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1424697682' post='2699217']
Would look great in a Daft Punk video, but is not really a practical proposition IMO.
[/quote]

This, I'm afraid. A niche market within a niche market... Looks cool though! B)

Given that a conventional 200w valve head needs at least four power tubes one blanches to think what a 500w head would need. Now imagine all those buggers cooking away inside a plexiglass enclosure. Or even just four of them. Anyone know at what point plexiglass starts to melt?

Let's think about this? Can anyone [i]really[/i] build an 4-8 tube head with the necessarily huge transformers, stick it into a bespoke plexi box, stand it on a 1x15 plexi cab, cover the wages / overheads and do it for £600? :huh: I mean, even an existing manufacturer with a factory and production lines couldn't do it, I'd have thought.

I reckon this would have to retail between £2000-3000 to turn a profit and the first person to even try to [i]lift[/i] the head would split their pancreas, go on line and slag it off for being too heavy.

Then there's the cost of re-valving a beast like this at £25-£50 per tube plus the tech's fee. The cork-sniffing tonehound will be laying out at least £300 a time just for the 200w jobbie. [i]How much[/i] to revalve a 400w head?

So what's it got going for it? Well, some people here think it looks pretty.

Fair enough, except H&K (and a few others) already do the plexiglass panel / glowing light thing; have they surged to the top of the market on the back of this? No, because it's a cosmetic frippery. It's staccato drums, all over again.

I'm really sorry, but this is a commercial non-starter. The costings are out, the material's wrong, the price to consumer will be too high and the USP's predicated on something that really doesn't matter to the customer who can afford a £3k rig.

Nil desperandum, though. Perhaps the OP could begin again, researching some ideas with forum members here. That way the idea will be rooted in customer demand.

First rule of business: find out what people want and give it to them :)

Edited by skankdelvar

BTW, I just calculated the weight of a 4x12 cab in plexi, inc speakers, exc fittings, 0.41 thick plexi*:

Neos: 88lbs

Ferrite: 100lbs

[size=3]*unless the OP's decided on a thinner grade of plexi.[/size]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1424706176' post='2699389']
Unless your Apple... Then you just bring out whatever you like and legions of dedicated followers decide they can't live without it.
[/quote]

True. It really helps to [i]already[/i] have legions of dedicated followers and 30-odd years of pre-eminence in one's marketplace. This is about launching into a mass market with a bespoke product.

I'm not saying it shouldn't [i]ever[/i] be done. But the only way to make money out of something like this is to wait for an American dentist to think 'What I really need is a plexiglass rig' and the weight won't matter because it will never leave his 'den'.

What (some) bass players want is The Valve Sound. Though they may not know it, what they [i]need[/i] is a one-hand-carry 120w valve head somewhat like an old Sound City with wizzo modern lightweight transformers that'll sit on top of a 2x10 and not look silly.

And - tbph - who would buy a 500w valve head and want a silent recording output? The whole point of big valve heads is to reduce buildings to a pile of rubble.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1424697679' post='2699216']
Do you mean that you're intending to make the speaker cab from perspex? I'm not sure how good an idea that is, since it would have to be thick and heavy to achieve the necessary stiffness, and speaker cabs should really be lined with wadding or acoustic foam which would spoil the visual impact of using a clear material. It does seem rather like design for design's sake.
[/quote]

As soon as I saw this, pretty much all these points came to mind before I'd even got this far down the thread. It's a shame you've even taken this concept this far and not seemingly considered/known about the internal workings of a(ny) cabinet.

I'd also add that the cabinet isn't going to look so pretty once it's been lumped into the back of your chosen transport a few times either. Surely once it took a knock, the perspex would crack/chip/bend? Also, what material are you going to use on the front panel to protect the cones from all those flying bottles (of piss)?

Considering the prices you're pitching it at, you can get an awful lot of cabinet elsewhere for £1,000. Would I spend a grand on this? Umm, no.
P

I do like the look of the head, but do I need a valve head? Probably not for a bass, others have mentioned the HK rig which looks nice, haven't Mesa done something similar recently with the Transalantic head?

Again as others have said I can't see the cab working, it needs wadding and baffles to get a good sound, I doubt plexi would give a wood like response, it would be horribly heavy and because of that would easily get scratched and damaged. why not look at a thin plexi screen mounted just proud of the front where the speakers are mounted to and light the gap between them, that could produce a nice effect, if you wanted to tie everything together the cab could uplight the amp if you mounted a light in the top of the cab and had a clear bottom to the amp?

I'm afraid this gets the thumbs down from me - This would look great as a shop window display - It would need padded gig boxes (yet more weight) and it just don't work financially - Bill FM has already commented on the sonic stuff and who am I to argue with him - get a degree in design by all means, but a gig kit designer you ain't.........(sorry...)

:)