Why become a member? ×

triplets with plectrum

Kevin Dean

God, triplets with a plec are a pain in the arse!

Even after years of playing with a plectrum (admittedly not as thoroughly as fingerstyle) I still haven't nailed it. I can do it like 10 times perfectly but then I lose it and my hand doesn't work anymore!

I suspect it may take a lot of trial and error with different strings (tension, gauge), EQ and different plectrums (flexibility, size). And a lot of practice!

Ha, well, there you go....I find it easier to play 'At home....' with a plectrum !

It's certainly easier if you can up- and down-stroke.

Edit: Having just tried it, it's a lot to do with locking in with the muting of the D with the fretting hand when I play it.

Edited by ahpook

The figure in that track isn't actually a triplet, though, it's a "galloping" quaver-semiquaver-semiquaver (or eighth-sixteenth-sixteenth) figure. I expect down-up-up would be pretty murderous there... try down-down-up? That way you're up/downs are in a steady semiquaver pulse:

strike down - no strike up - strike down - strike up

Edit: I just tried it and found that an alternating down/up felt best for me, where the accents alternate down/up:

down-up-down / up-down-up / etc.

Edited by ras52

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1424703198' post='2699343']

Edit: I just tried it and found that an alternating down/up felt best for me, where the accents alternate down/up:

down-up-down / up-down-up / etc.
[/quote]

Same here - I find strict alternation (down-up-down, up-down-up) is the best way to play it.

As far as keeping it constant goes... Practice slowly ([i]really[/i] slowly) and keep an eye on your picking hand to make sure that it's actually alternating all the time. I remember having to shout 'down, up, down, up' at my hand when I first starting working on picking in order to make it stick - sounds silly but it worked!.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about what thickness or size of plectrum you use, the main thing is that you spend some time letting your picking hand get used to a new way of playing.

Punk (post punk!) in my opinion I would definitely [i]not[/i] alternate on the down beats, you want your downs on the down for max attitude (and better consistency). It's like ras52 said before changing his mind :)
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]strike down - no strike up - strike down - strike up[/font][/color]

I find the best method for triplets is not perfect alternate picking in terms of down-up-down, up-down-up, down-up-down, up-down-up. Rather, I have most joy with down-up-down, down-up-down, down-up-down.

It takes a little getting used to because you have two downstrokes back to back, but it seems (to me anyway) to be the best method of getting a consistent sound to triplets. I'm sure a more veteran bassist will have a far better method than this, though!

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1424702562' post='2699329']
I think on Carol Kaye's website she favours playing triplets with a downstroke, followed by two upstrokes?
[/quote]

Can't imagine how difficult that would be!
I started bass after playing guitar, so im pretty proficient with a plectrum.
Down-up-down is the method i use.
But your hand should constantly be moving. Its quite hard to explain this in writing, but basically you play "down - up -down - up", but on the second "up", retract the plectrum so it doesnt play the note.
I dont know if this is obvious, but people i have shown, always try to reset the picking hand, rather than keep a constant motion and just exclude playing the 4th note.
Hope that makes sense to you

• 1 month later...

Down, down, up is my preference. Great tune to practise with, that GOF number. Some early Duran Duran is useful too, particularly Planet Earth and Hold Back The Rain. JT used to say that he used a pick for these tracks cos he found it difficult with fingers. Personally, I find it easier with fingers.