Why become a member? ×

D-Tuner

KingBollock

Lately I am finding a lot of music that is in C# standard tuning that I would like to learn. Often I can play it fine on my five string, but sometimes it is too awkward. What I was wondering is, would it be possible to install one of those D-Tuner thingumybobs on the B string and, when needed, switch it up as far as C#?

I have this idea in my head, that I am sure is wrong, that if installed normally, for drop tuning from E to D, keeping it tuned to D and only occasionally to E, would stress it and wear it out. Does that make sense, even if it is wrong? As you can tell, I don't really know how they work.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1426017855' post='2713543']
And the screw is adjustable if there is any wear.

Curious - why is playing the songs on 5-string awkward? It should be easier. Is it the desire for the C# to be an open string?
[/quote]
Yes, I'd like the C# to be open. It's old school death metal that I'm talking about. It's perfectly possible to play the stuff on the five string, but with an open string it flows better, is more fun to play. I'm not in a band, so unless it is fun I tend to find myself just not bothering, even if I love the song.