Why become a member? ×

Why, Why, Why can't I find a drummer!?

Lord Sausage

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424777563' post='2700256']
Just because a guitarist suggests a drummer it doesn't [i]necessarily [/i]mean that said drummer will not be any good... :biggrin:
[/quote]

I always reserve judgement, of course, and then find out I have to undo all the [email="cr@p"]cr@p[/email] we've just gotten ourselves into :lol: :lol:
I am more inclined to listen to a keyboard's suggestion of a drummer tho..for sure.. :lol: :lol:

Have encountered quite a few good drummers over many years. Just need to find Charlie Watts now rather than Bonham / Moon. Most recent drummer was tighter than a tight thing, drove us nuts with exact timing in tacets etc. Was just such a big hittter. Last drummer (borrowed) was multi talented musician, currently at Uni. He will make it big time (I hope).

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1424777595' post='2700258']

Bass player should always have the final yes/no on the drummer. If the bass cant gel with the drums there is no hope. I dont think the other band members realise how important the combination is until its not working.
[/quote]

That's how the Stones did it with darryl Jones. All the choice of the worlds most acclaimed bassists and Charlie got the final word. Although apparently the Miles Davies link didn't hurt!

I am really lucky , I get on well with our drummer and we seem to work well together . Rhythm guitar went to help out a mate of his who has a band that has been together for a year, they just wanted a few polishing tips, he took his axe with him and jammed a few songs.
At rehearsal the other night he made a comment about how chuffed he is that we are such a tight outfit .

Me and the drummist smiled and nodded at each other :D

Oooooo!
This really caught my eye!! :blink:

We thought it would be quite easy to find a new drummer, after many years with the previous one. :o

How wrong could we be!! :(

Eight months, 5 deps and way too many auditions! <_<

I really wouldn't want to got throuhg that all over again!

We are very kind and thoughtful to out new drummer - help him with his kit,
put him on a pedestal - well the last one's not true but almost.

In truth - it was a nightmare.

From what we found - there are a LOT of people out there who call themselves
"a drummer" and say they can play drums - in reallity. . . . . . . . there are very few!

Anyone currently going through this process, has my sympathy!

Good luck. :)

I often visualise bands like football teams. Drummer is the keeper, front man is the striker. Top class keepers and strikers are always at a premium and are held on to. I played with 3 different drummers for a while in current band before a 'stable' lineup established itself, current one is probably the pick of the bunch. I've done enough open mic/jam sessions to have run the full gammut of people claiming to be drummers right from those who were solidly professional to ones who had been gigging for decades but still struggled ot keep basic time!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1424861969' post='2701203']
I often visualise bands like football teams. Drummer is the keeper, front man is the striker. Top class keepers and strikers are always at a premium and are held on to. I played with 3 different drummers for a while in current band before a 'stable' lineup established itself, current one is probably the pick of the bunch. I've done enough open mic/jam sessions to have run the full gammut of people claiming to be drummers right from those who were solidly professional to ones who had been gigging for decades but still struggled ot keep basic time!
[/quote]

I visualise bands in terms of how I think they will work together.
I choose players for one band or another depending how I think they will dovetail.
Throwing people together without this sort of forethought just seems a waste of time to me.
I have to hear them to understand how they'll work ..or if they will work.

Chemistry is key as otherwise it is just notes :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1424803062' post='2700659']
Good drummers are hard to find, as are people who actually want to do the necessary home work to be in a band. Plenty like the idea of being in a band but few seem to want to actually put in the time.
[/quote]That's what's frustrating is that we have the people who wanna put the time in!

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1424853120' post='2701078']
Oooooo!
This really caught my eye!! :blink:

We thought it would be quite easy to find a new drummer, after many years with the previous one. :o

How wrong could we be!! :(

Eight months, 5 deps and way too many auditions! <_<

I really wouldn't want to got throuhg that all over again!

We are very kind and thoughtful to out new drummer - help him with his kit,
put him on a pedestal - well the last one's not true but almost.

In truth - it was a nightmare.

From what we found - there are a LOT of people out there who call themselves
"a drummer" and say they can play drums - in reallity. . . . . . . . there are very few!

Anyone currently going through this process, has my sympathy!

Good luck. :)
[/quote]That is exactly what we're going through. The rhythm guitarist is currently playing drums so we can learn tunes but he admits he's not at the required standard, though he probably will be by the time we find one.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1424981713' post='2702654']
well you wait ages for a drummer then two come along at once. Two replied to an old add from ages ago that I'd forgot about and one is someone i went to music college with in the 90's who was incredible back then. Haven't seen him for 15 yrs but am proper excited as he is class and a top guy.
[/quote]

Brilliant. So this thread was Kismet, or Karma, or Coincidence, or some such crap! :D
I hope he's a fantastic drummer and it all works out for you.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424990364' post='2702810']
Brilliant. So this thread was Kismet, or Karma, or Coincidence, or some such crap! :D
I hope he's a fantastic drummer and it all works out for you.
[/quote]

Cheers, Me too! But there is a bit of me prepared for something weird to happen like him getting abducted by aliens on his way to practice or something like that!

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1425024580' post='2702954']
Cheers, Me too! But there is a bit of me prepared for something weird to happen like him getting abducted by aliens on his way to practice or something like that!
[/quote]

Pray it's not a Spinal Tap situation...

They're hard to find because they're so important that you simply can't compromise. IME they either have groove or they don't and all the chops in the world won't make them right for a band. If you get a good one you take a big first step towards making a success of the function outfit.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1425156020' post='2704637']
They're hard to find because they're so important that you simply can't compromise.
[/quote]

Very true. It can be said of all players really, but if you haven't got a decent drummer you definitely haven't got a decent band.
There's no faking it or playing round it or covering it up. It's the elephant in the room. Especially if it's Nick Barker.