Why become a member? ×

Need Vibrato help

Funky Dunky

I don't have one.

I've seen various different methods used on guitar; horizontal, vertical and even circular, but what is correct or best on bass? I'm looking for any tips at all. I have experimented with a few approaches but nothing sounds 'pro'. Can anyone recommend a comprehensive resource for learning how to apply great vibrato on bass guitar? It's something I have struggled to develop on my own; I hear bassists use beautiful wide vibrato frequently and want that soulful feel in my playing.

Thanks guys

Edited by Funky Dunky

Ive never used circular vibrato on a bass, so cant comment on that.
Horizontal or vertical both work perfectly well though.
I personally prefer to use horizontal vibrato where you slide between two notes quickly, but this is personal preference.
I think i picked it up after watching a Marlowe DK video a good few years back.
Felt very unnatural at first, so if you dont "get it" straight away, just persevere.
Work at it until your notes become even. That was the thing i found most difficult when i started to learn to do it.

I use my ring finger, but with the middle finger sort of pushed up against it to brace it.
Its not easy to get right, but honestly, stick with it, and it'll come good.
One bit of advice i'd give is make sure you aren't gripping the neck with your thumb too hard.
This makes it harder to slide between the notes fast or smooth enough.
As an excercise, set up a metronome, and practice the vibrato on maybe the 4th beat (if assuming 4/4), but do it without gripping the neck at all.
This will make it easy to slide quickly.
Once this is ingrained in you, slowly start using your thumb again, until you build up to being able to do it without a struggle.

I am doing pretty well with the vertical vibrato but the horizontal one is way off. I've tried different approaches but I just feel like I can't get it smooth enough because of fretwire impedeing the back-and-forth motion. I watched MarloweDK's video on vibrato and it helped with the vertical technique. I will persevere with the horizontal and hopefully get it eventually!

If you want to do it with any speed in the note you will have to get all fingers down
and it helps if the thumb doesn't grip the neck at all... I take it off completely.
It is harder to do horizontal the closer you get to the nut...

Vertical works for slow...but horizontal is the only one to use for a speedy vibrato, IMO.
and that is the one to concentrate on..