Why become a member? ×

Peavey - is there something wrong with the company?

Jenny_Innie

I used an old battered Peacey 1x15 Combo at a practice room on Tuesday night. It had fantastic high and low shelving filters which enabled a great tone very quickly. It was slightly worrying how great this thing sounded considering I've spent god knows how much finding the prefect amp.

Why are they failing? It's that spiky 80s hair metal logo!

I loved my TNT, I still miss it's tone but not it's weight or lack of volume compared to something like my Genz shuttlemax9.2, I never found much volume from the later heads either 700 watts and a pair of 4x10s should be epic but I felt underwhelmed tbh.

One of my bands has an early 90s Peavey PA and it's really good still, it has a service and a pat test and it's perfect for your average pub gig or marquee wedding.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1424985092' post='2702731']

They've had that logo since the mid-70s at least.
[/quote]

Fair enough, so maybe they were ahead of their time, but I'd say that that style was popularised in the 80's rock scene and that's the association that many will have. Well, me at least

I have used many a Peavey based system for PA. I'm not a big fan of their power amplifiers but I think the speakers are still about the best bang to buck ratio - especially second hand.

My HiSys 3s still sound sweet in smaller rooms and the HiSys 4s whilst sounding a little brutal without corrective EQ will go surprisingly loud over a good distance with excellent dispersion characteristics. Our 118XT subs aren't spectacular but they do well for a small 1x18 box I never muched like the DTH Concert series, the 44T HF component was always very hard sounding and even with comprehensive EQ they were difficult to correct but the 'anti axial' subs worked well. The biggest and best of the lot was the old HDH4 system (the old Bullet system) which worked great especially with big Crowns driving it. Most importantly out of all this (and more that I've used in the past) I only ever did a couple of BW drivers and the odd 22XT which firmly cements their reputation as being tough things.. I'm still happy to use Peavey boxes to this very day. With a little time and effort, Peavey speakers are quiite capable of great results.

As for the bass amps, I never used the new ones but at college we had old TKOs which were hammered daily and I never recall one failing even once. As I remember, their were two of the 'Blue Line' ones with Scorpion speakers and a newer Black one with a Sheffield driver. That was 15 years ago and I think they're still going to this day! Greg has an old TNT 130 (parametric EQ version) which still bangs along well too! I put a JBL D140 in as an improvement on the Scorpion which made it sing..

It will be very sad if Peavey fold as I have great respect for their gear. :unsure: And stated, what would happen to TE.. :o I would hope that such a company will sort their issues and get back to making decent, affordable equipment.

I've just watched the Undercover Boss episode about Peavey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_tSLcHS8BM

And some further reading from Peavey - http://peavey.com/news/index.cfm/id/816/Peavey%20Responds%20to.html

It seems to me that Peavey are proud of their American production, but what they can reasonably sell their products for is low when factoring in costs. It also strikes me that Chinese made amplification is sneered at when many companies (that aren't struggling to maintain the payroll) are making a lot of high-quality, low-cost amplification in China, and selling them at a premium for maximum profit in the Western world.

And I suppose overall, it has to be considered that Peavey don't have the same brand awareness that other manufacturers do.

But, Barnes and Mullins are possibly the best company in the UK to have distribute your gear. They deal with pretty-much every music shop, and they're good at it. Getting stuff from Barnes and Mullins isn't the same hassle that it is with other distributors.

So I think that this could be a real turnaround for Peavey. Time will tell.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1427381651' post='2729681']
Just to let all here know - Barnes and Mullins, Peavey's new UK Distributor, are looking to hire somebody as a National Sales Manager for the Peavey range.

http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/jobs/read/national-sales-manager-peavey-uk/0400
[/quote]

I'm actually gonna give that a go! :P