Why become a member? ×

Installed new jazz pickups - hum/hiss problem

bassituation

Hi,

I've installed a new set of Wilkinson Alnico pickups into an old japanese 70s jazz bass. I've matched how the old ones were wired, but it's not a schematic I've seen on the web and now I've got a faint hum/hiss a bit like static. When I touch any metal part of the bass it goes. The ground to the bridge is fine and connects to the jack. As you will see, with the old pickups both pickup grounds (black) were soldered to the back of the bridge pot, so I just did the same.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers Martin

I can only see a ground on the jack - bridge.
You could/should maybe ground the back of all the pots and make sure they all have a path to the ground on the jack.

PS
You could also add some copper tape (or shielding paint) to the cavities and ground it too this might help to eliminate any hum.

Edited by scojack

Many Jazz bass wiring relies on the mechanical connection between the mounting of pots & jack socket onto the metal bell plate, it saves .02 pence worth of extra wire :rolleyes: but of course as soon as you get a loose nut :unsure: or even a bit of corrosion under your nuts :blink: any earthing is at best - intermittent & doubtful ;)
It appears from your photo' that the pots are not of the 'highest quality' :blush: & also they are 500K Linear, which is certainly not what I would recommend for a Jazz Bass ;) they are probably at the end of their useful life anyway!

I would suggest a new wiring kit would go a long way to solving all your problems B)

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1424859333' post='2701162']
I would suggest a new wiring kit would go a long way to solving all your problems B)
[/quote]

If only there was somewhere BC'ers could get a handmade, solderless, high quality replacement bell plate with everything already attached that would just drop in to the existing cavity... eh Kiogon?

Seriously though, the 500k linear pots should ideally be 250k logarithmic for passive single coil pickups. 500ks will deliver more top end to the output jack, so this might account for the increased hiss that you're experiencing.

Whilst you've got it in bits I'd recommend shielding the cavities too (including pickup routes as well) as the single coils don't reject extraneous noise (mains interference, emf etc...) as well as humbucking pickups do. If you're desperate then glue and tinfoil would do it, but I picked up some self adhesive metal foil for doing flashing on roof tiles or something similar. Works a treat.

UPDATE:
The pots came today. I did the sheilding yesterday to both pickup cavities and electronics and ground wires into the electronics. I got everything soldered and back together about an hour ago......and..... silence is golden. It now sounds superb, no hiss, hum or audible irritations. Well happy. Cheers all.

• 11 months later...

Where is the best place to buy shielding/conductive paint in small quantities?
The sources I've located so far seem very expensive - but maybe I'm looking at the wrong stuff? What is the correct name, as there appear to be several?
Like the example above, I am hoping to remedy a significant earth buzz on a Jazz bass.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1456423163' post='2988923']
Where is the best place to buy shielding/conductive paint in small quantities?
The sources I've located so far seem very expensive - but maybe I'm looking at the wrong stuff? What is the correct name, as there appear to be several?
Like the example above, I am hoping to remedy a significant earth buzz on a Jazz bass.
[/quote]

As recommended by Chris at Overwater

[url="http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/shielding-aerosols/7259987/"]http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/shielding-aerosols/7259987/[/url]

Many Jazz bass wiring relies on the mechanical connection between the mounting of pots & jack socket onto the metal bell plate, it saves .02 pence worth of extra wire :rolleyes: but of course as soon as you get a loose nut :unsure: or even a bit of corrosion under your nuts :blink: any earthing is at best - intermittent & doubtful ;)
It appears from your photo' that the pots are not of the 'highest quality' :blush: & also they are 500K Linear, which is certainly not what I would recommend for a Jazz Bass ;) they are probably at the end of their useful life anyway!

[/quote]Without knowing the maker, you cannot just assume that B is linear. In Britain and many other places A is linear and B is Log. I will give you that most countries now follow the US convention of A - Audio ( logarithmic ), B Linear but you can't just assume one or other convention.

[/quote]

Absolutely agree, this man makes the best quality wiring kits. Any bass I've owned and fitted one to has been perfect.

[quote name='rmcki' timestamp='1456830694' post='2992570']

As recommended by Chris at Overwater

[url="http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/shielding-aerosols/7259987/"]http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/shielding-aerosols/7259987/[/url]
[/quote]

This Scotts Bass Lessons vid has him chatting about it about 6 mins in and why to use the metal paint not the graphite stuff...

http://youtu.be/czK3IjnM_oE