Why become a member? ×

Dimavery MM-505

Rumple

[quote name='Mattmit' timestamp='1425332416' post='2706368']
Hi there Rumple! What's crackin'?

I don't have one and I don't know what it is.

Hope that helps.
Xxx
[/quote]

:lol: Not really but thanks for the bump.

BTW it's one of these, cheap as chips Musicman style 5 strings.

http://lighthouseaudiovisual.co.uk/dimavery-mm-505-electric-bass-5-string--black-54607-p.asp

they do a sunburst 5 for not a lot more money , `119 quid for a MM inspired 5 , 1 volume 2 tone .... O.O does that mean 2 band im not sure why you'd have two tone pots for a passive single humbucker.. Rumple what are you planning .... and if the things any good let me know because i'm toying with the idea of a cheap five

You could try calling here ... seems these guys make them , I particularly liked the google translate from dutch

[url="http://www.dimaverymusic.nl/over-ons"]http://www.dimaverymusic.nl/[/url]

[center]Do you have a question about one of our musical instruments? Whether you want to know which guitar is the best choice for you?Call us and ask one of our staff the shirt of their bodies.[/center]

[center][color=#696666][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Phone: [b]06 37227135[/b]
Email: [b][email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email][/b][/size][/font][/color][/center]

Edited by synthaside

I thought it would be a good starting point for a classic looking SR5, I have an OLP neck I could use with it IF it fits, assuming it did work then the neck could possibly be changed for a Status on at a later date.
I might have to buy one just to see!!

I own a passive OLP 5 (it's in bits!) and each volume works on a different coil of the single pick-up, it's quite a good idea, even though the changes in tone is pretty subtle.

I own a status Graphite vintage P , So I can vouch for the playability of the necks ;-) if you ever find yourself in Kingston you can find out .

As a source for a 5 bitsa the bass sounds like a good doner , but i'd probably want to change the pickups I've bought ultra cheap n cheerful Chinese stuff in the past and its been surprisingly good once ive ripped out the 2pence pickups and popped in some cheap entwistles .

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1425406580' post='2707028']
I own a status Graphite vintage P , So I can vouch for the playability of the necks ;-) if you ever find yourself in Kingston you can find out .

As a source for a 5 bitsa the bass sounds like a good doner , but i'd probably want to change the pickups I've bought ultra cheap n cheerful Chinese stuff in the past and its been surprisingly good once ive ripped out the 2pence pickups and popped in some cheap entwistles .
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer, I'd like to try your P at some point.

For little over £100 it's worth it for the body alone, I just wish I could rule out the uncertainty of the neck pocket size without buying one but after talkiing to another shop recently it seems they are shipped straight from the manufacturer so the shop has no actual product to measure.

Wow, quick response from my enquiry.

[color=#800000][i]Hi Dave,[/i][/color]

[color=#800000][i]I am sorry but I really don’t know the size of the neck pocket.[/i][/color]

[color=#800000][i]Best reagrds[/i][/color]

[color=#800000][i]Met hartelijke groet,[/i][/color]
[color=#800000][i]Michel Kronenburg[/i][/color]

We could always go halves 54 quid is not huge a investment and if they turn out to be junk we donate it to the great bassist in the sky.

I'll even be a gent and offer to go last , as i'd want the slightly more pricey sunburst ;-)

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkFWvgPKsmA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=pkFWvgPKsmA[/url]
found this depends on how good your german is ;-) but sounds alright in freless 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXKdMBboncw
English guy ... but not quite as detailed

Edited by synthaside

Some nice playing in that second video and quite funny when his Daughter pops into frame for second :D

I sold (well almost) my 76 P today, so I have some £££'s in my pocket and I'm seriously thinking of getting a black one to try out, as you say if it turns out not to be fit for purpose then it's not the end of the world and I can sell it or give it to a charity shop, obviously you'd be welcome to come and have a look at it, I'm going to mull it over this weekend.

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1425574356' post='2708761']
Alright let me know , if its feels good value and worth the 10 miles of London traffic through mitcham
i'll bring the status for neck appreciation , there ... different ;-)
[/quote]

I've ordered one :) £108.00 delivered made it too hard to resist!

Got a message today saying they don't have any black ones in stock :( I'm not a fan of sunburst basses but as this is for a possible future project bass I've accepted one and it should arrive by Tuesday next week.

They did do it for the same money otherwise I wouldn't have bothered, I might get lucky and it's a decent enough looking bit of wood used on the body, I'm not holding my breath but at least I'll be able to see the wood without stripping the finish off.

The bodies are basswood so you never know , I'm in the process of respraying an old body with Nitro in a rather fetching British Racing Green , amazing how easy it is to get a good finish with decent Nitro paints ... not cheap mind ...

Edited by synthaside

Excellent, how much paint did you have to use? I've just stripped a Jazz body and I'm thinking of using car paint to refinish it. I do love Nitro finishes but I thought I'd see how car paint turns out on my 1st attempt at a refinish.

Don't bother with car paint , i know its a tenner more expensive but using the real stuff has been much better . Years ago i tried to refinish a body in car paint i wanted dark purple ;-) .. seems daft now. The colour didn't ever really set right , even after two months post the varnish coat it was not hardened , I popped it on a stand and the stand stuck to the body , i gave it another month and while it felt hard put it in a case and the fluff from case stuck to the surface ... in the end i had to sand it down and after nearly 15 years I've sanded the bass down and its going green.

I used http://www.rothkoandfrost.com/nitro-cellulose-guitar-paint-aerosols/
One can of their primer and two of the colour coat , I have one tin of their nitro varnish to apply to it to finish which is where i'm now .

Its a very slow process 2 coats a day with a 4 -5 hour re-coat time , using very very thin coats to avoid bubble run and orange peeling