Why become a member? ×

How to customize my bass?

ButcherBass95

When you say "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]that doesn't ruin the body or the neck." Do you mean you want to be able to peel the cards off again and the paint finish still be as good as new?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]IMHO I would have thought the best end result would be got by sticking the cards on the body and giving the whole thing a really thick coat of lacquer, but this would wreck the original paint finish.[/font][/color]

What sort of finish is on your bass?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1424872619' post='2701404']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]IMHO I would have thought the best end result would be got by sticking the cards on the body and giving the whole thing a really thick coat of lacquer, but this would wreck the original paint finish.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Check that the laquer you are using is compatible with the existing finish and accept that if you don't like the results a full sand-down + respray is in order.

I think I'd recommend waterslide transfers (decals...) to 'real' playing cards for applying to an instrument. Something like this, from Ebay..?

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/A324-Ceramic-Waterslide-Decals-23-PLAYING-CARDS-AS-PICTURED-3-1-2-/141303080213"]Playing Card Decals ...[/url]

I'm sure there's others. Sticking 'real' cards would be a problem, because of the thickness, and also the curved surfaces. Difficult to get a good finish, I'd have thought.
Good luck with the project; photos of the result, please..?