Why become a member? ×

Joe B Mauldin passed away

Paultrader

I noticed that Buddy Holly's bass player, Joe B Mauldin, passed away almost unnoticed by the press on 7th February aged 74. He may not have changed the world musically, but he was right in there amongst the music changers!

I play in a rock and roll band, and it's quite interesting attempting to interpret those ultra simple Crickets' bass lines into something punchy and worth playing. Often I just cut it right down to simple root notes and enjoy belting out all the backing vocals - it works!

I saw The Crickets a few years a go when they toured with Nanci Griffith; they were great and she clearly loved them.

Anyway, I just wanted to acknowledge the passing of a rock and roll legend.

RIP. :(

[quote name='Paultrader' timestamp='1424873254' post='2701417']
I play in a rock and roll band, and it's quite interesting attempting to interpret those ultra simple Crickets' bass lines into something punchy and worth playing. Often I just cut it right down to simple root notes and enjoy belting out all the backing vocals - it works!
[/quote]

Funnily enough I have just made a version of Peggy Sue for my Punk band. :)

Edited by DorsetBlue

I did not know this, so thanks. RIP.

[quote name='Paultrader' timestamp='1424873254' post='2701417']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...quite interesting attempting to interpret those ultra simple Crickets' bass lines into something punchy and worth playing. [/font][/color]Often I just cut it right down to simple root notes and enjoy belting out all the backing vocals - it works!
[/quote]

Roots and fifths are often regarded with contempt on this forum, but if you want to get a room dancing there's nothing better. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424873626' post='2701422']
I did not know this, so thanks. RIP.

Roots and fifths are often regarded with contempt on this forum, but if you want to get a room dancing there's nothing better. :)
[/quote]

Agreed. My band regards any thing more with suspicion.

I shall listen to some Crickets tonight I think.

We had a gig the week after he passed away. Dedicated all of our 'Buddy' songs to Joe B. And we do quite a few...!!

I saw 'Buddy the Musical' a few years ago and the guy playing his part was a ringer for him. Spookily so...

As the Doc said above, there at the birth.

Not many can say that....

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424873626' post='2701422']
[/quote]
No contempt here,I play in a Country Rock band.
Sad to hear about Joe B Mauldlin.Doctorbass put it so well.