Why become a member? ×

Live goofs that stick in memory

EBS_freak

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424889302' post='2701632']
You have witnessed most of mine live mate! :o Were you at The Varsity when Andy fell off the stage reaching for his beer and took the tuners off the Les Paul?
[/quote]

Wasn't there - I think the first time I saw you with Andy was at the Bull and Gate down in sweet old Kentish Town! Some crazy bands on the bill if I remember. Can remember seeing you at the Little Civic too. Can't remember if I actually saw you at the Varsity or not!?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424905214' post='2701883']
Really? 13 times we played there, there was a goof every time!
[/quote]

I think I saw you at the Varsity. Can't remember. Think the last time I was in the Varsity was when I was in there with the 'zon.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424905375' post='2701889']
Alphabet song!
[/quote]

Just for you Pete...

[url="https://soundcloud.com/rh_music/the-alphabet"]https://soundcloud.c...ic/the-alphabet[/url]

(apologies for the cack recording... I can't even remember anything about this recording!)

Edited by EBS_freak

Drunken Violin player got caught up in his leads on a very poorly cabled stage and had the
choice of putting his arms out to break his fall...which meant his very expensive violin and bow
would take the hit, or land on his chin. He took the chin and the thump went thru the P.A.
Me and the drummer cracked up and lost time... and were laughing right the way to the end
on the song. The singer saw the funny side of it but did wonder what the hell as going on..
The gig was recorded so we played it back on audio and it became stuff of legend.
The drunk vioin player wasn't finshed for the night either but that is another story.

At my sister's wedding, I messed up and missed a chord. That was embarrassing.

Also, at A level exams, I was playing bass, and my friend was playing guitar. We had learned a song, but through the week she'd been to see her guitar teacher, who (for some reason) told her to capo at the second fret, but she never told me this before our exam. Exam time comes, and I'm inexplicably a tone out! I was fuming. In my ineptitude, I faltered and stumbled through the rest of the song. Thankfully, the examiner was more inept, and never even noticed anything had gone wrong. Drama types :rolleyes: :lol:

Also, years back now, I saw Madonna play the BRITs, and she was dressed like Cruella De Ville and hand a bunch of demon goat dancers, and one of them grabbed her cape and Madonna landed on her arse! Oh, how we laughed at the time. Mind you, this was in the days before the internet, so it wasn't immediately talked about everywhere.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9vFSqXu6XI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9vFSqXu6XI[/url]

The famous Parfiit falling over the drum set on TOTP - Rick says he did it on purpose these days but I remember watching this live and cracking up ....

Edited by BobVbass

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1424993563' post='2702864'] Playing in more than one band. :mellow: Sweet Caroline I play the intro. But the two bands do the song a tone apart. So i did my intro and you should have seen the look on our guitarist face when he came in :lol: oops wrong band [/quote]

There is a live, published, recording of Roger Chapman and the Shortlist where the song starts with the bass setting (slow) groove. After a couple of phrases it shifts up the a third and you can distinctly here the guitarist say "thank you".

i played a gig with my 2nd band (which I've now left) and broke a string during the early part of the tune. Whipped out the dead string, jumped off stage like a trooper, restrung it on the fly, tuned up and came back in for the last 1/4... something wasn't right though and I was getting stern looks from the band... I couldn't tell (I'm a bit thick when it comes to fine tuning with everyone playing) after nearly a minute I realised I'd tuned it to a drop tuning which I use in my other band, but this one is standard :gas: . got it back in for about 1 minute of tune. I nearly sacked myself! :blush: