Why become a member? ×

What’s my age again?

anaxcrosswords

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1425051638' post='2703450']
What gets me is when people say the music of the 60s and 70s was the best, period. That's regardless of age.
[/quote]

It's probably as crap as any other period, but at least it's crap I understand.

Everyone around here seems to want to play classic rock and not much else. Nothing wrong with that in principle but it's getting more and more difficult to get musicians together to write new material. It seems only the youngsters around here are up for something new, but it's generally djent, which I'm fine with, but at 45 I'm viewed by the young uns as a bit of an old git.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1425051638' post='2703450']
What gets me is when people say the music of the 60s and 70s was the best, period. That's regardless of age.
[/quote]

It was a different period, you have to remember rock bands were still a novelty in the mid 60s. If a bar had any kind of a band with guys with electric guitars and drums you would draw a huge crowd even if the band was awful.

The music business was different and we had the opportunity to see artists develop and mature. For example the Beatles of 1962 was not the same as the Beatles in 1964 and The Beatles of 1964 were a lot different from the Beatles in 1968.

Off topic, why were the Beatles so popular? A lot of reason but you I think the main reason was, they were likable.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1425082396' post='2703880']
Question, and I don't mean to hi jack the thread or start a war.

*Us over 60 guys, with our Stones and Beatles. We knew who they were individually. We also knew who Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce were. Same with Zep and The Yard Birds. They were all stars individually. We knew The Beatles favorite colors and favorite foods. :)

Does the younger generations know their band member favorites and how they might all be different as individual personalities within a band?

Blue

* Most of us60 + hard core fans will never back down on how those bands had an impact on us.
[/quote]

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1425082610' post='2703883']
Blue - absolutely. Thanks to band FB pages and tweets, fans get to know even the tiniest (often totally unnecessary) minutiae.
[/quote]

All we had was The Hit Parade or Melody Maker and later The Rolling Stone. :angry:

Blue

[quote]Does the younger generations know their band member favorites and how they might all be different as individual personalities within a band?[/quote]

Well, the interview questions are different.

[i]Then[/i]

Q: When do you think you'll get married and what sort of wife are you looking for?

A: Not for a few years yet, Derek, but she'll have to be able to cook my favourite - steak and kidney pie!

[i]Now[/i]

Q: Which undeveloped country do you feel most embraces the key tenets of universal human rights?

A: I was talking to Nelson Mandela about this shortly before he died. I took part in the graveside vuvuzuela salute, you know. Unforgettable.

And who may we identify for introducing politics, conscience and intellectual depth into Pop? Step forward those lovable mop-tops. :lol:

Edited by skankdelvar

I'm 51. In the last 10 days I've been to gigs by Esper Scout, The Cribs (supported by Menace Beach), Krill (supported by Cowtown) and Deerhoof, as well as playing my own gig. There's plenty of good new stuff (newer than 60s/70s) out there. And it's never been easier to access it - Spotify, Youtube, Radio 6 and internet radio stations. And where I am (Leeds) there's some first class gig venues. I'm lucky enough to have kids who are into music and recommend new bands to try, as well as some friends who are always looking for something new. Having said all that, I play in an old man's band - blues and soul covers. I love it, but would love to do something more contemporary, but no-one wants an old git in their band.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1424933609' post='2702011']
Give it ten years!
[/quote]

I dunno, I've been waiting 20 years to see the music of my youth (i.e Grunge) covered in pubs. Hasn't happened yet.*

(*I'm sure it has, somewhere, but not on any kind of scale)

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1425227859' post='2705276']
I'm 51. I play in an old man's band - blues and soul covers. I love it, but would love to do something more contemporary, but no-one wants an old git in their band.[/quote]

Agreed, and it's probably best to tell any band your auditioning for your age up front.

Usually if age is an issue ( and it shouldn't unless the look of the band is 21 ) it doesn't matter how good you are, in most cases they will take youth over experience and ability.

Blue

You only have to listen to Sounds of the Sixties on Radio 2 on a Saturday morning to realise how much utter sh!te came out of said decade! Thing is, there was so much music made, you could easily listen to the good stuff non-stop without getting bored.

My personal pub-band turn-off is endless covers of [i]Sex on Fire[/i] and [i]Mr Brightside [/i]- great songs, but done to death.