Why become a member? ×

Just pre ordered a Chowny Semi Hollow Bass

sk8

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1432644183' post='2783485']
Mine is being delivered in person tonight :)
[/quote]

Who did you have to sleep with to get that level of service?! I have to wait until tomorrow!

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1432644819' post='2783497']
Who did you have to sleep with to get that level of service?! I have to wait until tomorrow!
[/quote]

Ha! He just happens to live near us. :)

But I'm open to offers if somebody wants to sleep with me.

Edited by Chownybass

Hi all - I'm a bit of a latecomer to this thread.....

I received my Emerald-burst Chowny CHB-1 on Wednesday. Straight out of the box it played amazingly! Most times when I buy a bass (new or used) I have to do a considerable amount of setting up before it plays anything like comfortable. The only bit of setting up I needed to do to make things perfect for me was to file the nut down a little. I've not purchased a new bass yet where this wasn't required so nothing unusual there. The overall finish is first class - looks very expensive!!! The colour if beautiful in the flesh. It's nice and light and acoustically sounded outstanding! Another massive pleasant surprise was there wasn't one single low or proud fret!!! No nasty fret buzz anywhere.

Plugged in the tones are knockout - and FAR more versatile and usable in the 'real' world than a vintage Rivoli and the like. The sound is nice and focused with strong but not overpowering mids, even on the neck pickup, but that 'Chas Chandler' vibe is still there in spades if you roll the tone off a little!!! But as well as that vintage 60s tone, you can get some really 'contemporary' bright tones out of it. The bridge pickup does that 'Jaco' thing like you wouldn't believe and it's surprisingly got a knockout slap tone (pretty unusual in my experience for a semi).

Speaking of that Chas tone - it sounded so good for that that I decided to take it the next day with me to Sweden where I was gigging with the Animals on a 24 hour cruise. All the rest of the band were knocked out with it, both visually and tonally! Those iconic bass intros to 'We Gotta Get Out of This Place' and 'It's My Life' sounded the best they have in the 2 1/2 years I've been doing the gig!! I should point out I've put flatwounds on it for a more authentic 60s vibe. I get s little bass solo feature in the set so I just whacked the bridge pickup on for maximum poke and the solo cut through brilliantly.

I'm back in the UK now getting ready and waiting to use it on its second gig with The Animals at Concert at The Kings in All Cannings - [url="http://www.concertatthekings.co.uk/"]http://www.concertatthekings.co.uk/[/url] We're on at about 2pm just before Howard Jones if anyone local wants to give the bass a listen...

I can honestly say this is the best semi-acoustic bass I've ever played (and I've played/owned quite a few). Stephen Chown has done us all proud with this bass and I feel proud to be one of the first Chowny Bass owners!

[url="http://www.concertatthekings.co.uk/"][/url]

Edited by All thumbs

It's a semi hollow rather than a full acoustic so has a centre block. I've had no feedback issues whatsoever, and much of the resonance of a hollow is retained so works for me. The Fender Coronado Reissue is the same.

steve

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1432987646' post='2786797']
Dammit, these look excellent!

Probably a silly question but with a hollow body like this do you still get acoustic feedback like a full acoustic bass would or do they behave more like a solid body?
[/quote]

Not a silly question at all :-) These (like many) have a solid block in the middle so they behave really well in terms of feedback. If you play VERY loud and use a lot of drive/compression then they may be more likely to feed, but in a nice way - not like a full acoustic.

Excellent review, lovely looking bass, green burst looks great. Really pleased it's worked out, just need to get an order in for myself now!
[quote name='All thumbs' timestamp='1432978824' post='2786698']
Hi all - I'm a bit of a latecomer to this thread.....

I received my Emerald-burst Chowny CHB-1 on Wednesday. Straight out of the box it played amazingly! Most times when I buy a bass (new or used) I have to do a considerable amount of setting up before it plays anything like comfortable. The only bit of setting up I needed to do to make things perfect for me was to file the nut down a little. I've not purchased a new bass yet where this wasn't required so nothing unusual there. The overall finish is first class - looks very expensive!!! The colour if beautiful in the flesh. It's nice and light and acoustically sounded outstanding! Another massive pleasant surprise was there wasn't one single low or proud fret!!! No nasty fret buzz anywhere.

Plugged in the tones are knockout - and FAR more versatile and usable in the 'real' world than a vintage Rivoli and the like. The sound is nice and focused with strong but not overpowering mids, even on the neck pickup, but that 'Chas Chandler' vibe is still there in spades if you roll the tone off a little!!! But as well as that vintage 60s tone, you can get some really 'contemporary' bright tones out of it. The bridge pickup does that 'Jaco' thing like you wouldn't believe and it's surprisingly got a knockout slap tone (pretty unusual in my experience for a semi).

Speaking of that Chas tone - it sounded so good for that that I decided to take it the next day with me to Sweden where I was gigging with the Animals on a 24 hour cruise. All the rest of the band were knocked out with it, both visually and tonally! Those iconic bass intros to 'We Gotta Get Out of This Place' and 'It's My Life' sounded the best they have in the 2 1/2 years I've been doing the gig!! I should point out I've put flatwounds on it for a more authentic 60s vibe. I get s little bass solo feature in the set so I just whacked the bridge pickup on for maximum poke and the solo cut through brilliantly.

I'm back in the UK now getting ready and waiting to use it on its second gig with The Animals at Concert at The Kings in All Cannings - [url="http://www.concertatthekings.co.uk/"]http://www.concertatthekings.co.uk/[/url] We're on at about 2pm just before Howard Jones if anyone local wants to give the bass a listen...

I can honestly say this is the best semi-acoustic bass I've ever played (and I've played/owned quite a few). Stephen Chown has done us all proud with this bass and I feel proud to be one of the first Chowny Bass owners!

[url="http://www.concertatthekings.co.uk/"][/url]
[/quote]

Loved the Purple coloured bass in the OP's first post
But that green - looks even better

Sounds great in Chownybass's demo video too
I really don't need another bass either
But these look great for the money!

And as others have said, all the colours seem to look great
but maybe that's just because the design of the bass looks great
Something a bit different....
Hmmm.......

Marc
(Wishing there wasn't so much to tempt me!)

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1433753397' post='2793533']
What do owners use for carry cases for these?
[/quote]

There is a fitted hard case for £70. Although we may need to put that up a few quid as we tweak our early production costs.

Unfortunately they're all running late for the people who have already purchased. But they should be here within the next week or so.