Why become a member? ×

New singer making me some work!

stingrayPete1977

So our new young female singer has suggested a few songs to put in the set along with the ones of ours she is learning, she must have an ear for bass! So far my homework has involved learning covers played by;

Tony Levin-Joan Armatrading drop the pilot (I have never heard it covered tbf)
Steve Lukather- (bass on MJ Beat It)
Louis Johnson- MJ Billy Jean
Stuart Zender - Jamiroquai love Foolosophy
Nate Watts- Stevie Wonder Master Blaster

Out of five songs she has picked 4 of the worlds top players and a top guitarist playing bass! I think there will be some Pino and Sklar along all in good time, hey I need something to learn tomorrow night anyway, Lol :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424990665' post='2702816']
I'm sure you'll be fine! :) But are the rest of your band up to it?? ;)
[/quote]
We have a tidy drummer that can handle lead vox but he wants to sing less hence the new front person, she can belt them out no messing, Low down rock, show tunes, through to Christina Aguilera stuff etc no probs! Guitarist is good but not a shredder and just myself, that's where the rot begins :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424991750' post='2702830']
I'm ok at blagging that one actually and we normally keep arrangements fairly simple, thanks though, now I'm not sure about our guitarist nailing the EVH solo!
[/quote]

That's the key part of the song that pretty much everyone remembers and air guitars along too :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424987973' post='2702779']
So our new young female singer has suggested a few songs to put in the set along with the ones of ours she is learning, she must have an ear for bass! So far my homework has involved learning covers played by;

Stuart Zender - Jamiroquai love Foolosophy

[/quote]
I always thought Nick Fyffe played bass on this track,but i could be wrong like my missus usually tells me :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424991965' post='2702834']
We have a tidy drummer that can handle lead vox but he wants to sing less hence the new front person, she can belt them out no messing, Low down rock, show tunes, through to Christina Aguilera stuff etc no probs! Guitarist is good but not a shredder and just myself, that's where the rot begins :lol:
[/quote]

In that case, something needs to be pulled in a tad..
There is no point going for gold and falling flat... you'll get no thanks for that.

If you can find a way to make the track work with conviction then ok..but you'll likely have to change parts
completely..
It might take some thought an imagination...

I've got to chart 'Women in chains' and I'm think an acoustic will carry the first 2 verses if the
vox are strong enough..but we also need to know where to bail out and say, nice try, didn't work..
It isn't the parts so much in themselves, it is how it all comes out together... and it just CAN'T sound weak..

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424991965' post='2702834']

[/quote]

Sounds like a fun set :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1425083876' post='2703890']
Maybe merge it into a different Jacko song before it gets there, we'll see, lol.
[/quote]
The only reason to do Beat It is for the solo..and a gtr w**k, tbh...
and if he can't do it, you'll fail in front of the gtr dudes.. :lol: