Why become a member? ×

SUHR Basses

steantval

I was working in Colchester this week and popped into Peaches Guitar Shop.

I was well impressed by their huge range of high end guitars, the selection of basses was quite sparse but they are opening a big new bass section in the next six weeks.

The guy in the store showed me an SUHR bass (cost over 2k) and said they were superb instruments, I had never heard of them.

Anyone on here play them?

I would like to add to the last post' that i agree' when you look at the raw costs of materials & time.. some of the prices are laughable!! But there is some great low price instruments out there..Cort' ibanez' make great stuff.. But when the Sadowsky stuff comes out!!! Etc.. i switch off.

Well, don't buy a bitsa made up of parts then and pay the luthier's premium for putting it together.
I'd want to watch the guy making/building it from his selection of woods in his shop and have it customised
to the dims I ask for.. so wouldn't be impressed with a pre made neck from a 3rd party if I'd paid
for a custom build and the luthiers expertise

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1425080356' post='2703860']
i guess regardless of your opinion on Fender copies. playing one, might answer your question. ?
[/quote]

I owned a Jazz for a while. I found the shape uncomfortable and sold it. I could see the point of making a posh Fender style bass if it avoided all the design compromises that had to be made on the original due to cost and the technology of the time, but very few of them do, so what is the point?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1425294288' post='2705836'] I owned a Jazz for a while. I found the shape uncomfortable and sold it. I could see the point of making a posh Fender style bass if it avoided all the design compromises that had to be made on the original due to cost and the technology of the time, but very few of them do, so what is the point? [/quote]

That's a good point.

Sadowsky's jazz versions are a little bit smaller and certainly more comfortable. They are also massively lighter in weight.

My Sandberg has a much flatter fretboard and has 22 frets - which I like as I have a few tapping things I like to play where I need that little extra.

But most Jazz-a-likes are just that. Different headstock and that's about it.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1425294288' post='2705836']
I owned a Jazz for a while. I found the shape uncomfortable and sold it. I could see the point of making a posh Fender style bass if it avoided all the design compromises that had to be made on the original due to cost and the technology of the time, but [b]very few of them do, so what is the point?[/b]
[/quote]

Again, if that is the case, you've picked the wrong guy.
My Fender 'copy's is 10 times the bass that most Fenders are... to me.
I quite like the later Amercan deluxe model but not for the new price and I've not felt
I must have one yet at SH prices. As you say, not quite there...